PDA

View Full Version : No C'gar..and not real close either.

Mike McCarthy
03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Not much of a shot and not worth posting in the bird section, but more to back up a story of quite an aerial battle I (sort of ) watched this morning.

I was out in the boat with my eldest parental unit (we call him Dad). I had just finished shooting some wood storks at an island rookery and we were watching the "fisherman" do his thing.

Dad noticed something off in the distance and said he thought it was a couple of eagles fighting. I could hardly see the birds but figured it was a pair of ospreys. We were in fact just across the intracoastal waterway (canal) from an osprey nest.

The birds came a bit closer, but still were a long ways off. I could finally see the birds but still couldn't tell what they were. There were 4 large birds fighting. They were making some amazing aerial manuevers. They came close enough for me to take a few shots at them. Sure enough there were eagles and ospreys. Pretty cool battle going on.

The eagles were figthing with each other at times. The ospreys were chasing the eagles, probably wanting them to leave the nesting area. I didn't get any wall hangers (or even close) but thought this was interesting enough to share with you all.

The young bald eagles were.... ...well..being eagles. Would have loved to have shot this closer, but unfortunately this is a heavy crop. You still get the idea of what was transpiring across the bay from us. It was pretty cool to watch...even though it didn't produce any great shots.

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/94151489/original.jpg

Alfred Forns
03-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Love the air battle Have seen a juvi eagle trying to steal a fish from an adult osprey !!! Osprey came out ahead !!!

Must have been fun Mike!!!!

Judd Patterson
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Pretty intense action Mike. I love the eagle that is temporarily flying upside down!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Wow I can just image the excitment at seeing all this wonderful action. Great capture and timing Mike. Thanks for sharing all the background history too. !!!!

Maxis Gamez
03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Cool. That's another reason I love that place.

Mike McCarthy
03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks folks. I was back out today looking for these guys again...but no luck. Hope I get another shot at something like this again.

Cheers