Av mode
1/13"
F16
ISO:200
Tripod
LR and CS3
Exposure comp -2
BG is black posted board.

These flowers are in pots next to the house and under an awning so they weren't killed by the frost. They looked terrible all summer long but look great now so I guess they don't like heat. This was shot indoors with natural window light. I lightened the center with Viveza and other than that, there really isn't anything special about how it was edited.

Andrew McLachlan
11-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi Ken, beautiful blossom. Like how you set it against the dark background - really makes it stand out quite nicely.

Jay Sheinfield
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey Ken,

Good capture. Great colors and sharpness. I like it. Judging the light coming from the upper right, you might consider a reflective surface from the left just add a bit of fill light to the left petals. Just my taste.
I think the solo leaf adds a lot of interest.

Anita Bower
11-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Lovely Dahlia! So unusual. I really like the spotted petals. My Dahlias didn't do much until the weather cooled off. You were smart to have these in pots in a protected place. It is time for me to dig up my tubers.

I agree with above comments. The flower stands out beautifully from the bg. I like the leaf. Lovely that you got a nice looking leaf near the flower. If my window is on the right, I put a white foamboard on the left, and below to add fill light. thanks for sharing.

Ken Childs
11-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Anita, my foam board setup is the same as what you have. It would have been nice to get it right in camera but I should be able to fix the unbalanced light problem in Photoshop.

Anita Bower
11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Anita, my foam board setup is the same as what you have. It would have been nice to get it right in camera but I should be able to fix the unbalanced light problem in Photoshop.

I agree that PS will do the job.

Steve Maxson
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Ken. Nice job on this! You got everything in focus and the bright yellows really pop against the black. I like the lighting with the soft shadows giving depth to the blossom - I like it as is without extra fill. :) Well done.

Julie Kenward
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Beautiful flower, Ken. I also think a bit of shadow on the left side would be nice just maybe not quite as much as is here presently. I like the way you composed the image but cropping feels just a tiny bit tight to me on the top and right. Maybe a slice more on both sides?

Ken Childs
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
but cropping feels just a tiny bit tight to me on the top and right. Maybe a slice more on both sides?
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. :)

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey Ken,
Still in Bryce/Zion......agree with opening up the RH side a touch but not too much! The petal has some nice rim light on it. I think just some room right and top.....as it leans that way....maybe a hair off right.....as both of us like tight crops....just a 3rd opinion as the rest loks great!