PDA

View Full Version : Green monster

Johan Kruger
11-02-2010, 12:50 PM
When I got home today this critter was chomping away at one of my ferox cycads, I dont really have macro equipment, had to use my trusty old 300f4 to capture the fellow. Thought I'd share :) 300f4L @ 300mm f/11. exp 1/30sec. ISO 640. flash.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey Johan,
You did pretty well using that set-up! I normally prefer more DOF....but the shallow DOF works well in this case as what needs to be sharp is!!! I like the greenery framing the critter too....but perhaps a bit of a tone down. Be careful with the front leg area....don't want to lose that. I do think this would present better with a bit of a crop off the top.....yes more of a square presentation but just a bitt too much up there taking away a bit of interest from the hopper.

Steve Maxson
11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi Johan - and welcome to Macro! The title fits well with this cool looking hopper. I like the head-on view and agree that a little more DOF would be nice, though your shutter speed was already getting pretty low. Did you use a tripod or is this hand held? I think that if you did some additional selective sharpening on the front half of the hopper it would pop a little better. Also, I agree with Roman that you could crop some off the top to place more emphasis on the hopper and you might also apply some NR to the background. :) Keep them coming.

Johan Kruger
11-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It was already getting dark out and I dont even own a tripod :) I generally prefer to walk around / hand hold my camera than to setup. But I am also pretty clueless about the do's and donts of macro, smaller doesnt mean easier ;)

Ken Childs
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Johan, here's another welcome to the Macro Forum! I shoot a lot of macro with my 100-400mm so using your 300mm makes perfect sense to me. :) This is one bizarre looking grasshopper! Those shoulder pads are really scary!

It looks like Roman and Steve have already covered what I would have suggested. Keep the bug shots coming!

Jay Sheinfield
11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
welcome to macro.....judging from this shot, you have the macro "eye".....:). I agree with the comments above. This a cool image and very compelling......great eye contact with the bug. Do more..................

Johan Kruger
11-05-2010, 12:25 AM
thanks for the welcome :)