PDA

View Full Version : Watching the sunset

Hazel Grant
11-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Catching the eye in a photo is so important. I was thinking, what is this eye looking at? So I created a sunset wth landscape and birds flying. Postered the edges and added a little of the sunset to the feathers.

Judy Howle
11-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Very creative, I love it! The sunset is a wonderful idea along with the warm toning of the feathers.

Christopher Miller
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Very creative idea, Hazel! I love the sunset scene you created in the eye and the warm color tones. Nice work.

denise ippolito
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Hazel, Very creative idea and you did a great job with it!!!Maybe a little larger posting size so everyone can see how great this looks!

Indranil Sircar
11-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Hazel, this is very creative. I like the colors. Agree with Denise on a larger size. Nicely done.

Hazel Grant
11-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I'll work on the larger size. Somehow I couldn't get it to upload any larger

Hazel Grant
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong with the sizing? Haven't run into this before. In Photoshop I set the size at what I read the download to be, 800x676 pixels at 72dpi and it comes up 442 KB when I look at the image size window. I don't have other layers that add to the size. It's flattened jpg. When I try to upload, I get "Your file of 286.9 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 200.0 KB for this filetype.'

denise ippolito
11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
As per our very own Kerry Perkins:
Posting limitations are 1024 max horizontal and 800 max vertical. PS will do this for you and size your image within the 200k size limitation. To get the proper pixel dimensions, go to "file -> automate -> fit image". In the box that pops up put in 1024 pixels for the width and 800 pixels for the height and click "OK". These numbers will stay there for subsequent images unless you change them. Your image is now sized properly as far as dimensions. (Note that this constrains the image to these dimensions, so whichever way it is oriented you will be fine.) You will have to zoom the window to get it to display larger on your screen. Now, when you go to "file -> save for web and devices", you will get the interface for doing just that. In the upper right corner of that interface there is a little triangle next to what looks like a stack of paper. Click on that and a menu will pop up. In that window select "optimize to file size". In the next popup window you will see a box for "desired file size". Put 195k in that box just for a little margin of error. Click "OK" and that window will close and take you back to the "save for web and devices" interface. Click "save", give your file a name and a destination and you are good to go. You will get a full-sized image for BPN at less than 200k file size and it will be the best quality attainable by PS.

Cheryl Slechta
11-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Really, really nice image, Hazel! I love the sunset colors and the reflection. Very creative and well done:)

Paul Lagasi
11-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Very nice PP effects ont he eye, lovely idea and colors

Hazel Grant
11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Kerry! Hope the larger sizing fits what you all asked for.

denise ippolito
11-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Glad you were able to resize it Hazel! I like where you put the palm trees.

Kerry Perkins
11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Hazel, wow! The larger size really makes a difference. I knew those were palm trees in there but couldn't make them out very well. I really like your thinking and the well thought-out steps to get your thoughts into the image. I can see now that the eye is looking at other birds in the sky. Super job! :cool:

Steve Adkins
11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Hazel, Great OOTB idea and smooth effects! Love the story it tells. :)