PDA

View Full Version : Here's Looking At You!

Norm Dulak
11-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Nikon D300 w/Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 vr, tripod mounted
ISO equiv. 800
1/10 sec @ f/22

I often rescue turtles crossing the road in our rural area, taking them to my 20 acres by the creek for release where they should never again encounter the menace of traffic. Sometimes when a turtle is particularly handsome, I photograph it.

This rescued box turtle seemed happy to oblige.

Norm

Ken Childs
11-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Norm, I'm glad to hear about someone else moving these guys off the roads and on to less dangerous pastures. I relocate 10 or so to my farm every year. They probably wander off and towards danger again but at least I know they're safe for a little longer. :)

I like this pretty much as it is now although I might like to see some of the darker areas brought up just a tiny bit. The striped highlights in the eyes look odd so I'd consider cloning them out or maybe painting in rounder ones. You have a lot of options when choosing a crop and one I'd like to see would be more of a pano with a little off the bottom and a lot off the top. Maybe not better but different. Nice work!

Steve Maxson
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Norm. I like just about everything about this one! Interesting colors, nice lighting, excellent sharpness and DOF, good comp, and an interesting subject as well! The only thing I notice that I might want to change is the unusual shape of the highlights in the eyes (Ken also mentioned this). They just seem odd and are distracting me from all the other excellent aspects of this image. Ken's idea for more of a pano crop is intriguing as an alternate presentation. Very well done.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey Norm,
I originally felt like Ken and Steve on the pano crop.....nice alternatives but this works for me also. Ken also nailed my thoughts on the darker areas....not much brighter but definitely brought up some. I really like the comp you chose and find it very effective....very nicely done and the tweaks will just be frosting on the cake!

Norm Dulak
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks Ken, Steve and Roman. Forever anxious to please, I've met your suggestions part way in this repost. I've lightened the darker lower part a bit, and the striped eye highlights are gone.

I haven't gone the pano route for two principal reasons. First, I wanted to show as much of the upper shell as I could, consistent with good composition, because I think the pattern is beautiful. I also chose to preserve a good amount of the lower "trap door", which my turtle was kind enough to open for me. After all, that's what makes him a box turtle!

Still, I too might want to see what a pano rendition might offer. Would one of you who made or supported the suggestion care to take a shot at that? :cheers:

Norm

Steve Maxson
11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Norm. I took a quick shot at a pano crop and also brightened the eyes just a bit. I think we all noted that the comp of the OP was fine - this is just offered as a possible alternative. :)

Julie Kenward
11-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Norm, I love this image! I have always been a big turtle lover and rarely ever get to see one, let alone be this close. I really like your choice of crop but also like Steve's pano - both frame his face nicely.

Norm Dulak
11-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Steve for the pano, which I think is an interesting and well done alternative that I hadn't thought of. And as always, thanks for your comments Jules.

But however the turtle is presented, I think it was a most interesting and worthy photographic subject, and I'm glad you like it! :)

Norm