Metering mode: Spot
Drive mode: Single frame shooting
ISO: 1600
Lens: EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM +1.4x
Focal length: 252mm
Tripod GT3530LS
Head Wimberley sidekick
slight crop
I decided to shoot at Max ISO for the 30D. Somebody suggested from my last posting (coopers hawk hunting)
that you can produce decent images even at high ISO so I gave it a try. Normally
I try not to use high ISO. Comments very welcome.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Perch is very nice. for that high ISO, IQ seems very nice too. Thats a small bird...so you must have been very close. loved the bokeh a lot.

It would have been nice to capture the bird with head parallel to the sensor. If mine, I'd play with the white balance. I think there is a magenta cast to it. Some sharpening of the brid will also help.

Katie Rupp
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Love the eye and the beautiful bg...good suggestions from Kaustubh although since I've never seen this bird I don't know about it's color.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Is this captive? And what does the histogram look like in the RAW file?

Christopher Marek
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Perch is very nice. for that high ISO, IQ seems very nice too. Thats a small bird...so you must have been very close. loved the bokeh a lot.

It would have been nice to capture the bird with head parallel to the sensor. If mine, I'd play with the white balance. I think there is a magenta cast to it. Some sharpening of the brid will also help.

Ok. I have sharpened it. I was so close to this bird it flew away after the first shot. My monitor is not calibrated so I don't know what to do about color casts that others see. On my monitor it looks fine.
1)What does 'IQ' mean?
2)What does 'bokeh' mean?
3) So is shooting at 1600 ISO bad? Why not always shoot at 1600?

Christopher Marek
11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Is this captive? And what does the histogram look like in the RAW file?

No it is wild.

What do you think about shooting at such a high ISO?