PDA

View Full Version : Landing 7D TV

Arthur Morris
11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I got out for a second morning in a row on Sunday and the Turkey Vultures were the main attraction. I created this image with the Canon 400mm f/IS DO lens and the EOS-7D handheld. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops off the early morning sky: 1/2000 sec. at f/5.6.

ACR conversion, added canvas right, some perch clean-up.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Arthur Morris
11-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is the original: from a quick Breezebrowser conversion with no color temperature adjustment.

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Arthur, nice pose and placement within the adjusted comp. Looks like a small hot-spot on the one wing, but maybe your jpeg conversion you've mentioned before.

Mark Young
11-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I like the colour change of the bird in the first image, but I prefer a lighter bg similar to the original.

Arthur Morris
11-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Andrew, You caught me with my pants down. I went back and checked and there was considerable clipping in the optimized TIFF (that has now been deleted). I started from scratch and left the sky a bit lighter than in the original post. (I do not like the CYAN sky in the image in Pane #2 :) )

Thanks both!

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Now it is perfect!

Arthur Morris
11-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks to you!

Pieter de Waal
11-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Nice landing pose Arthur, I like how you have warmed the image and maintained the detail in the black plumage. Also love the curved primaries which allways fascinates me inflight shots.

Duane Noblick
11-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Nice placement in the frame with excellent feather details and you can't help but admire the beauty of these creatures being so well....let's just say having a face only a mother can love. ;)

Loukie Viljoen
11-02-2010, 05:22 AM
The head superimposed on the far wing worries me, when I first opened I battled to distinguish the head, otherwise fine.

Andrew McLachlan
11-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks to you!

YAW :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Funny that, I can clearly see the head. But we probably see differently as is. I like the landing pose but I do wish the perch were a bit neater. I know it's not your fault Artie, but it's a bit - how do I say it without getting your knickers in a not - well, not nice. :) Overall a nice image though.

Arthur Morris
11-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks all. And yes, the head is a bit lost in the far wing. As for the perch, I am glad that the morons who supposedly "take care of" this development have not yet cut that tree down as they have other dead ones....

Stu Bowie
11-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Artie, your previous post of one these guys, he was pirouetting ( I can spell it too :) ) so in this I will say, well timed for the landing. Good exposure in the darker plumage, and I like the overall detail. Your repost in pane 5 works the best for me.

Arthur Morris
11-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Well spelled and agree :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Repost a big improvement Artie. Loved the tail spread among other things. Head merge does not bother me because of its color.

Randy Stout
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Artie:

Nice improvement with reposts.
My first impression was the same as Louke's, that the primary feather near the head is so bright and close that it distracts a bit.

I can clearly see what is what, but would prefer it if that feather wasn't so close to the head, and so bright. If it were angled like the other primaries, I think it would present better.
Below is a quick stab at downplaying the effect of that close/bright primary

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
11-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks Randy. It does look better. If I get out tomorrow morning I will ask the vultures if they would be so kind as to arrange their primary feathers more pleasingly :)

Randy Stout
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Artie:

I was so sure you could talk turkey (vulture that is) that it would be no problem to get them to pose better:p

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
11-02-2010, 09:01 PM
If it is sunny in the am I will do just that. Right now I am slaving away on BAA Bulletin #345 so I can get out in the morning if it is clear. You gotta love it.

Tony Sparkes
11-03-2010, 07:38 AM
I got out for a second morning in a row on Sunday and the Turkey Vultures were the main attraction. I created this image with the Canon 400mm f/IS DO lens and the EOS-7D handheld. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops off the early morning sky: 1/2000 sec. at f/5.6.

ACR conversion, added canvas right, some perch clean-up.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Hi Arthur
Being a newbie, I was interested in your comment 'add canvas' How do you do that?

Regards

Tony

Randy Stout
11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi Arthur
Being a newbie, I was interested in your comment 'add canvas' How do you do that?

Regards

Tony

Tony: Artie will get back to you probably, but here is a link from the educational resources forum that talks about canvas extension.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?41898-Extending-your-canvas-made-easy

A good place to start.

Cheers
Randy

Arthur Morris
11-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi Arthur Being a newbie, I was interested in your comment 'add canvas' How do you do that? Regards Tony

Hi Tony, There are lots of ways to do that. The fastest and simplest as described in detail along with ten tons of other stuff that you need to know, is to crop the image to full size in the unframed view (or hit - - - a few times) and then grab the little handles on the center of each frame edge and pull them out as desired. Then double click on the image and voila, the canvas is added.