PDA

View Full Version : White Rhino

Rachel Hollander
11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I've been told that the name "white" Rhino comes from a mispronunciation of the Dutch word "wijd" (wide) referring to the shape of this species mouth compared to the Black Rhino. I think in this shot taken in the Sabi Sands, South Africa, one can see how it was called "wide".

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/400
f 7.1
ISO 200
HH from a safari vehicle, no crop. Slight S/H adjustment and some USM applied selectively to rhino.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Harshad Barve
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
This looks nice Rachel , as this is FF may be cropping tight and converting into abstract can be a great option
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-02-2010, 02:48 AM
I am not realy a fan of such close shots, I would have preferred the whole head.

That said you have great detail in the skin, and it certainly shows the wide mouth.

All the better for eating the grass;)

Lorant Voros
11-02-2010, 03:25 AM
I'm mostly not too keen on such a close up either, but I have to say it is nice to see the skin structure and all the details on the horn. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
11-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks Harshad, Ken and Lorant for the comments. We spent a good bit of time with this rhino so I have lots of shots of him including full head, full body, etc. Just wanted to try something different.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
11-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Rachel,

Glad to hear you made multiple comps of this interesting looking subject. I like extreme close-ups when the concentration is on the details and patterns of the animals. Here I feel the cutting of the horn is not a good choice and would prefer to have seen it. Please post another - would love to see it.

Thanks.

Andrew Merwin
11-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Rachel, I agree with the other comments re. this image. I too would like very much to see other images.
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-02-2010, 07:41 AM
We spent a good bit of time with this rhino so I have lots of shots of him including full head, full body, etc.
Rachel

Look forward to seeing them:)

Valerio Tarone
11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
hi Rachel
i would like to see the horn not cut as it's the distinctive carachter of the animal. like the close capture. agree with Robert.