PDA

View Full Version : Goera Pan Sunrise

Morkel Erasmus
11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
This is one of my attempts at capturing a wonderful Kalahari sunrise on the Goera Pan (a giant salt pan in the Kalahari desert north the town of Upington in South Africa). This was captured from a small dune in the middle of the pan.

I used Kuyper luminosity masks to blend 4 exposures into one. The tracks in the sand are the tracks of small mammals like the Cape Fox, Bat-eared Fox or African wild cat which had walked there during the night.

All comments most welcome!

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 11mm
f22 @ ISO-100
Circular Polariser

Chris Ober
11-01-2010, 08:02 PM
and capture it you did! Great sky and colors, lighting. The bushes blend in with the sand making them hard to discern. Would be nice to either see them more I think.

Now I need to look up what "Kuyper luminosity masks" are :)

Andrew McLachlan
11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Morkel, nice sunrise image. I really like the rippled sand in the foreground and the animal tracks too.

Bill Randall
11-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Nice, I particularly like the orange and blue contrast. Good timing also.

Marc Mol
11-02-2010, 05:15 AM
Love the contast in colour Morkel with that magic sky, very nice indeed.
I too would like to be enlightened by the "Kuyper luminosity masks"??
TFS

Robert Amoruso
11-02-2010, 07:02 AM
"Kuyper luminosity masks" is good stuff. Here is link http://goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html.

Morkel,

Nice work with the starburst, FG element placement and pleasing sky. Overall well composed and exposed.

Dave Mills
11-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi Morkel, Love the light and the use of sand ripples in the foreground. The sky while dominant has a nice diagonal flow to it and strong enough to carry the space. The sun placement is good but would rather the large bush not being cut by the horizon.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey Morkel,
Agree about the bush.....but the light and ripples are fantastic.....so perhaps selectively lightening or darkening the bush.....give it more punch? I think if you do the one......do them all! This will give another layer of depth to the image IMO. Nicely done overall!

Morkel Erasmus
11-05-2010, 01:57 PM
thanks so much for the kind and constructive comments guys...

Robert thanks for posting those links, I was meaning to but you beat me to the punch :)

Dave - those "broom bushes" are just everywhere in the Kalahari...tricky to get a shot in this area without one popping over the horizon

Roman - worth a shot! Mind showing me what you meant?