PDA

View Full Version : Dewey Fall Dragonfly

Mike Moats
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Shot on a very early fall morning before the sun made it above the tree line. This guy stopped for the night on the wilted puple coneflower. A dark pond was the BG which created a nice rich blue color. Fuji S3 Pro, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, F/5.6

Stephen Stephen
03-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Very nice image Mike. I'd love to see this in a larger size. I really like the composition and the fact that the petals are dead but the flower head is still vibrant. The dew on the dragonfly makes it scintillate like gemstones.

Harold Davis
03-13-2008, 05:34 PM
beautiful capture, mike!!

Mike Moats
03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey Stephen, I blew this up to 24"X36" for my art shows and it came out awesome. It doesn't look as good here, as the web version suffers. The BG came out all blotchy, and lost a little sharpness. Thanks for comment Harold.

Robert O'Toole
03-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow very good, not the usual dewey D-fly image with the bright coneflower and the wilted petals. I am sure a big enlargement was stunning.

As a fine point I would like to see a little more canvas to the right and some crop from the left. The right sides slightly tight and cropping the left would get rid of alot of that wilted pedal in the upper right.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
03-14-2008, 03:26 AM
I'm ambivalent about this one, Mike. Altho I think it's a great find (& I wish it were mine!), on the other hand it seems kinda busy - my eye is pulled away from the d-fly to the details of the flower head and to the dried petals and to the raindrops....and the bright color of the flower head seems almost to overwhelm the d-fly, whose coloring is much more subdued. But I would like to see that blown-up version; bet it's impressive. I think it's the unusualness of this one that draws me

Mike Moats
03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Hey Robert, a very good suggestion about adding the canvas and cropping. Anita, you're right that its a busier looking shot than the usual D-Fly on a stick with a soild BG, for me this image is more about the great combination of the flower head in that brite orange against the deep blue in the BG, and the D-Fly is a nice bonus.

Mary Stamper
03-14-2008, 11:06 PM
I like this a lot, Mike. I like the abstract quality of the shapes against the bluish background.I also like the feeling of context given by the bright flower and drooping dead petals.

John Cooper
03-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Yes I like this one Mike - a little bit different here showing the drooping leaves that seem to add to the composition. well seen!

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey Mike,
I can't believe I'm going to say this.........but I'll go with Robert on adding canvas right......but here goes........maybe adding canvas to the left also! I almost had a heart attack saying it as you know........I like tight crops.........but in this instance the curved pattern of the dead leaves would add, IMO, to the overall comp as you just barely clippped the left side dead petal. Still stunning. Now I have to go rest....as I can't believe i said to add canvas,
Roman

Don Lacy
03-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I beautiful shot, very rarely do we get dew covered mornings here in FL so it is a treat to see these images posted by others.