PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Cub

Ken Watkins
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
We found three cubs with Mum and sister, quite close to the road, but basically hidden in bush and grass, this is one of the relatively few nearly clear shots.

Taken in Ruaha National Park, Tanzania, 4th September 2010

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from open game viewing vehicle

F5.8, ISO 800, 1/800

This has uploaded slightly darker and redder than my JPEG:confused:

Rachel Hollander
11-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Ken - he's a cutie and I like the comp. Nice low straight on POV. The little ones always have grass in the way. I agree that it seems a little red (especially the eyes) and dark.

TFS this cutie.

Rachel

Andrew Merwin
11-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Ken, I like this cutie. I think you handled the hatchet lighting very well here. I am conflicted about removing the rock & grasses in the LLC. If it were mine, I would seriously consider removing the sprig that enters the frame from the RHS. I think the blurred grass stem bisecting the cub's right ear is distracting. However, it appears that it would be very difficult to remove because there is so little ear to clone from so I might try removing it as an experiment to see if it will better the image. Otherwise, I would leave it in.
His eyes are wonderful & I really like his triangular face.
His nose appears sharper than his eyes but, maybe there is a smudge on my monitor.

Harshad Barve
11-01-2010, 08:50 PM
You gotta love these cat cubs :D:D:D

Lovely compo here and nice eye contact too
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks for your comments, I wish I could get the post on here at a better quality, but even changing the JPEG does not seem to work:confused:

Given the huge amount of distracting elements I decided not to try removing them.