PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl - Hand of Man

John Harper
03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi There

On a Barn Owl theme at the moment, this one is again of Barn Owl "Avon" taken at HCT displaying in June of Last year. The Owls are flown around over and right in front of the visitors, and it does give you some great opportunities for pictures.
This was taken with the 400mm F5.6 which is a terrific lens for birds in flight in bright light, and a great deal lighter and cheaper than the 500mm F4.

John

EOS1DMKIIN
EF 400 F5.6L
ISO 400
1/2000 @ F5.6

Ric Grupe
03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I guess you took the forums "hand of man" literally!

Very nice.

Lana Hays
03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
John
You know that I'm always smiling when I see your Barn Owls. As always.....another interesting image. I look at it long enought that I keep thinking it's going to land on that glove. When you go each weekend to HCT, can you request certain birds or do you just take whatever happens to be flown that day? I just can't get over the great opportunity that you have for these birds and getting to photograph them in flight.

James Salywoda
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Gorgeous Image John!!!! I love the pose captured as this beautiful bird comes in for a landing.

Cindy Cone
03-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I love the pose and action captured here!

Paul Pagano
03-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Very nice work, great timing....I really like the 400 too.

John Harper
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
John
You know that I'm always smiling when I see your Barn Owls. As always.....another interesting image. I look at it long enought that I keep thinking it's going to land on that glove. When you go each weekend to HCT, can you request certain birds or do you just take whatever happens to be flown that day? I just can't get over the great opportunity that you have for these birds and getting to photograph them in flight.

Hi Lana

Thanks for the comments. Regards the flying displays at HCT they pretty much have a set routine for the birds that they fly. For the main season (April to October, winter is slightly different) they have flying displays at 12.00pm 2.00pm & 3.30pm

If you can stand to be bored :p I will run down what you get at each.

12.00pm - They start with the Barn Owls, then its a Lanner Falcon, Striated Caracara, (then in the warmer months a Secretary Bird) Tawny Eagle.

2.00pm - Valley of the Eagles - Starts with African Fish Eagle - Peregrine Falcon - Bateluer Eagle - Black Kites / Wild Red Kites. Close with Bald Eagles flying in from their release site about 2 miles away.

3.30pm Woodland Owls & Hawks. Milky Eagle Owl, Pair of Harris Hawks, Siberian Eagle Owl - (Camera shy so no pictures unfortunately). Red Backed Hawk or Brahminy Kite. Great Grey Owl.

At 4.15pm they have a Wild Kite & Heron Feed. They have around 20 or so Wild Herons that visit for some free food and also Red Kites, that had been released into the surrounding area over the last few years. There is also generally a pair of Kestrels that are nesting at the edge of the field and they grab some food too.

That basically sums it up! its certainly a great place to visit and practice your photographic skills

John

Lana Hays
03-14-2008, 04:50 PM
John
Bore me anytime....with such interesting details. As I've said before......what a terrific opportunity. You see more raptors in a couple of hours than others see in a lifetime. Thanks for the info.