PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise

Myer Bornstein
11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I had got up early to be at Sachuest NWR before sunrise to see if I could obtain some Deer photos and there was this sunrise Taken with my 50-500 mm lens @ 78 mm, Nikon D3s 1/1000 sec f10 ISO 1280 hand held adjusted in light room then photoshop and tried out HDR Efex Pro. I left the noise in since I liked the effect. Slight crop and straightened out the horizon

BTW the JPEG has lost a lot of the color the the original has

Robert Amoruso
11-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Myer,

I feel your pain on the JPG desaturation - I have same problem. You can oversaturate to adjust for the conversion to JPG.

I like the layers (brush, water, sky) in the image adding depth and interest but find the water looking a little funky (not sharp) and wishing you had more of the brighter portion of the sky above.

A wide angle on a tripod at a lower ISO would have raised to IQ.

I like the detail you managed to obtain in the FG with the HDR.

Dave Mills
11-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Myer,agree with Robert's suggestions. A few points...The sky and water have a funky look but not sure if that is what you were after. I also don't feel in this case the sky is strong enough to carry that much of the image. Good amount of foreground but it's oversaturated. Finally, IMO the image is lacking a center of interest...

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Hey Myer,
Good points brought up above. I do think you can revisit this one in PP'ing.....be careful with the horizon as there is a brightness there....looks too much like a halo. It does have an almost texture to the entire image.....which can work in many cases. I do think this would be more effective as a pano...keeping layers and band of color.

Bill Randall
11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Aside from the technical thoughts above, my take is the repitition of the layers adds to the composition, but I would like to see at least one element that creates a little tension. The horizontal layers are soothing and calm to me but can be static without a bit of counter balance.