PDA

View Full Version : Homage to Stuart Bowie

Doug Brown
11-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Stuart always seems to do such a nice job capturing the beauty of our most common feathered friend. I thought I'd give it a try this past weekend. The BG isn't as pretty as one of his, but I liked the two birds with different wing positions.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 500mm, f/7.1, 1/2500, ISO 500, manual exposure, hand held

Andrew Merwin
11-01-2010, 08:10 AM
I like this Doug. The birds have good HAs, good eye contact, good separation, good wing positions & exposure.

Ben_Sadd
11-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Very nice. I actually think pigeons are a pain to photograph nicely, constantly flying in front of and between buildings!

The eye-contact really makes the birds stand out.

Although the birds are not overlapping, I wonder if a little more spacing between them would improve this already good image.

Doug Brown
11-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Although the birds are not overlapping, I wonder if a little more spacing between them would improve this already good image.

I'm glad you like the image! Regarding your question, I'll give you my opinion Ben. Having them close but not overlapping allows you to keep the birds large in the frame in a classic flight composition. Increased distance between the birds makes them progressively smaller in the frame if you want to preserve the open space in front of them.

Bill Dix
11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Like the two different colorations and wing positions, and the open beak of the leading bird; and I like the juxtaposition of the two as presented.

Stu Bowie
11-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Doug, Im flattered to say the least. You have now gone and out done me by capturing two in the same frame. :) I like the opposite wing positions of both pigeons, and both showing off their colours nicely. Now Im off to capture three in the same frame, and capture them vertically too. :)

Jim Crosswell
11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I like the sharpness and different positions you captured in this image. I can`t wait to see Stuarts triple vertical!

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Goug, terrific shot. Perfect DOf, exposure, bird angles, wing poses, colors...thx for sharing.

Pieter de Waal
11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Wow Doug great image. Love the colours on the birds, great head angles and different flight positions.

Arthur Morris
11-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Surely the best Rock Pigeon double-header flight shot ever. What did the original look like?

Doug Brown
11-01-2010, 11:37 PM
What did the original look like?

Here's the uncropped original. Have you checked your voicemail?

Arthur Morris
11-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Wow, a Farmer Jim crop. But the IQ still looks great and the birds look mega sharp.

Home or cell? I never know when I have a phone message on my supposedly fabulous Droid. Will check that. Thanks for the heads up.

Doug Brown
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow, a Farmer Jim crop. But the IQ still looks great and the birds look mega sharp.

Home or cell? I never know when I have a phone message on my supposedly fabulous Droid. Will check that. Thanks for the heads up.

A pretty sizable crop, but it was a keeper (and I don't keep many Pigeon shots :)). How about I call you a little later?

Arthur Morris
11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Agree that it is a great image. You gotta love MIV IQ.

When you pull the needle out of the next guy, give me a buzz at 863-692-2806 before 1:30 eastern or after 5pm eastern. Thanks Bud!