Canon 7D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 430EX + Diffuser

1/250 sec @ f/18

S/H, Crop, Sharpening in CS5

Valerio Tarone
11-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Ian
interesting image of behaviour of insects. Good the composition, colors, texture and sharpness.

Adrian David
11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Great capture! Maybe a little soft, IMHO. You may try a little more sharpening and ad some contrast.

Steve Maxson
11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi Ian. This is a very cool behavioral image. Goes to show that even predators have to watch their backs. (I wonder if this would have turned out differently if the assassin bug had seen the spider first and made the first move? :confused: ) Adrian's suggestions of adding sharpening and contrast are worth considering to see if they will take the image up a notch. Well done.

Ian Cassell
11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks, folks! Aaaaargh! I just can't get my sharpening right. I feel like the 3 bears. Too much ... too little ... but never 'just right' :) Sigh ...

Steve, I now have 3 or 4 images of jumpers taking down assassin bugs and have never (in my recollection) seen the opposite. Maybe they're just faster?

EDIT:

Ooops, I lied. Here's one of the other direction (while another jumper looks on ...). Not a great image, but shows the inverse situation.

Ken Childs
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey Ian, this is a cool thing to find! It made me think of Alien vs Predator!:D

If it had been possible, I think a lower angle might have looked even better. If you have the canvas, a CCW rotation might be worth looking at and I agree that upping the contrast is worth looking at.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey Ian,
Still in zion.....so just checking in! Very good ideas to explore given above.....I do think the added bit of contrast and other tweaks will really take this up a notch! Very cool find!!!