PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bee

Layton E Parham
10-31-2010, 03:05 PM
We do not stop to realize how important their pollen work is. Without them we would have very little to eat. The sad thing is that they are slowly disappearing! Found sleeping under a blade of grass. Canon Eos 1D Mark IV, Eos 100mm,2.8 macro. F11, 1/160 sec, Iso 1600, Manual mode, hand held

Chris Ober
10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Nice find and good work with the lighting. It just pops off the clean background. The OOF background part of the grass is slightly distracting and could be toned down a little or if there was some space between it and the back of the bee.

Leon Robinson Jr.
10-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Very nice, I love the lighting!

WIlliam Maroldo
10-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Nice image. Was this a considerable crop? Lot of noise in background-- should be pretty easy to deal with. regards~Bill

Ken Childs
11-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Hey Layton, I really like backlit subjects and the lighting on this bee looks fantastic. It's literally glowing! A little more DOF would have been nice but it looks like you'd already pushed the camera to the limit for a HH shot. Chris already mentioned that some separation between the grass and the back of the bee might have looked better and a very small step to the left might have accomplished that. It looks good as presented but I think a vertical crop would also look good. There is a lot of noise, probably from the high ISO so applying some NR would help this cool shot look even better. :)

At least they think they've finally figured out what's been killing the bees. It's a combo of a virus and a fungus. On their own, neither disease is a big problem but when combined, they're lethal. Hopefully they'll find a way to treat the problem.

Steve Maxson
11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Layton. This is a very cool shot - I love the backlighting and how it seems to be shining right through the bee's abdomen. I also like all the detail on the unlit side of the bee and I agree about trying some NR on the background. I think this would look great as a vertical. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey Layton,
Very cool find! Light is awesome and possible tweaks mentioned......make them and this will will shine!