PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hares

Steve Maxson
03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
This is an image of 2 sea hares (I'm not sure which species - think marine slug about 4 inches long) in a shallow (about 3 inches deep) tide pool on Sanibel Island early in the morning. Hundreds, if not thousands, of these were washed ashore during a several day period in January. On shore, they just look like a blob. In calm water they become quite interesting to observe. 20D, 90mm tilt/shift (not tilted), 1/90, f/11, ISO 400. Applied local contrast enhancement in USM 20/30/0 to bring out the colors and increase contrast. Cropped for a pano look.
Comments are welcome.

Mike Moats
03-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey Steve, interesting critters. The pano works well.

Robert O'Toole
03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Like the crop and the 2 subjects are different and interesting. Like the warm light also.

Robert

Stephen Stephen
03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Steve, nice image of two Nudibranchs (meaning Naked gills). It's easy to see how their colouration offers camouflage even on this sand substrate. If you have an opportunity in the future try photographing them in a small tank. It will offer the viewer a good 3-D view of their textured bodies.

For those who don't know Nudibranchs are gastropod molluscs related to snails, clams, mussels, squid and octopus. Sorry I was a Marine Biologist teaching Public Education in another life. :o

Steve Maxson
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Stephen, Thanks for the input. In my former life I was also a biologist, though I worked with birds so these critters are not my specialty. :)