ISO: 500
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Focal length: 700mm
AF mode: Manual Focus
Tripod GT3530LS
Head Wimberley sidekick
Not a crop
Photographed from sliding glass door on porch
The situation is deep woods on an overcast day. I was fighting to get a fast shutter speed
while trying to keep the ISO low to prevent noise from being a problem. The bird was in the
only possible spot where I was not shooting through a branch or leaves. I could not change
my position at all. I used a remote trigger to try and keep camera movement down. If you compare this post with my post from yesterday, you will notice considerable BG cleanup. I wonder if that helps or destroys the deep woods feel? I struggle with photoshop and prefer not to do much with it.

Daniel Cadieux
10-31-2010, 01:35 PM
When comparing this to your previous I'd say Il ike the tree removal at left, but I prefer the green foliage in the other in the LRC. I also prefer the pose here. I wouldn't hesitate going to ISO 800 on the 30D then adding a bit more +EC as I find the image dark (unless that is what you are going for?). A bluish cast on the white feathers would be easily eliminate too.

Did you photograph this with the patio door open, or through the glass?

Christopher Marek
10-31-2010, 01:54 PM
When comparing this to your previous I'd say Il ike the tree removal at left, but I prefer the green foliage in the other in the LRC. I also prefer the pose here. I wouldn't hesitate going to ISO 800 on the 30D then adding a bit more +EC as I find the image dark (unless that is what you are going for?). A bluish cast on the white feathers would be easily eliminate too.

Did you photograph this with the patio door open, or through the glass?

This shot was made with the glass door slid completely open out of the way. I tried shooting directly through the glass at first so that I would at least have a record shot in case the bird flushed. Those shots were horrible.
I never quite know, with photo shop, when am I ruining the photograph. The histogram is perfect, so I imagine I can use photoshop to do other improvements such as the bluish cast removal. I will read up on it.

Christopher Marek
10-31-2010, 07:55 PM
I added about a stop more exposure as suggested and I decided to crop the image a bit tighter with the hope that the birds stare might be more dramatic if closer. I don't quite know what to do about a blue cast.

Randy Stout
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Chris:

I had a minute, so tinkered a bit.

Went to selective color > whites > moved cyan slider to -40 to help reduce the blue cast

Lightened face/eye with a mask on a curves adjustment, filled mask with black, then painted in the brighter eye and face.

You can do a much better job on the raw file, but there def. is room to tweak this one.

Hope to see more.

Randy

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-01-2010, 03:01 AM
ISO800 is a breeze for the 30D, I often use it and even 1600 is useable. It's all about exposing as far right as possible. Of course noise is still visible but far less bothersome and more managable than if you were to underexpose in which case you are up the creek before you even started.
LIke the reposts here with more extracted detail. I think (also) that you can get more out of this. :) Nice pose and would love to see the original.

Christopher Marek
11-01-2010, 08:31 AM
ISO800 is a breeze for the 30D, I often use it and even 1600 is useable. It's all about exposing as far right as possible. Of course noise is still visible but far less bothersome and more managable than if you were to underexpose in which case you are up the creek before you even started.
LIke the reposts here with more extracted detail. I think (also) that you can get more out of this. :) Nice pose and would love to see the original.

Here is the original, no photoshop at all