PDA

View Full Version : Female Red-winged Blackbird

Ralph R. Roberts
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Taken May 2009 @ Carpenter Nature Center, MN. [Canon 5D, Aperture-Priority AE, 1/400, Av 5.6, Evaluative Metering +2/3, ISO Speed 400, 600 mm +1.4x = 840 mm] Comments and critique appreciated.

Daniel Cadieux
10-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Nice looking gal, with a good pose. I like the perch, and the overall comp looks good too. I don't mind the OOF cattail behind the main one (although ideally it would not be there), but its faint tip coming out of your subject's head is not best IMO. I'd eliminate the one near the tail too, as well as the darker one crossing the image top to bottom. Exposure looks good. I'd either warm up the WB, and/or raise the saturation on the yellows to give the image more colour, and I would apply an additional round of sharpening on the RWB for web display.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-01-2010, 03:05 AM
I think it's ridiculous to have 70 views and one comment on an image! What the heck is wrong with people on BPN? :2eyes2:

Daniel made some valid suggestions about bits sticking out near the head and tail. To me, overall, this sort of body pose would command a vertical comp. If you have enough space around the bird (meaning you cropped a fair bit for web presentation) I would explore that vertical option. Nice looking bird and a little more sharpening wouldn't go astray.
Well done! :)

Andrew Merwin
11-01-2010, 07:49 AM
I think it's ridiculous to have 70 views and one comment on an image! What the heck is wrong with people on BPN? :2eyes2:

FWIW, many of the 70 views could be guests.

I too agree with Daniel's comments. She is a very pretty RWB. It is good that you captured this image with so little clutter from cattails. I usually have trouble with that.

Ralph R. Roberts
11-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Daniel and Andrew,
Thanks of your comments and suggestions. I will try these for sure.
Regards.:)