PDA

View Full Version : Tide effects at Ding Darling

Randy Stout
03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Good day all:

I was just looking at the tide charts for Sanibel island. During the time I will be in the general area, there is a range of less than 1 foot in the low tide level. Is that enough to add significant value to going on the lowest tide day possible? Or, is the more important factor, getting the low tide time to match up with the best light? I apologize if I am missing some well known factors here!

Good pictures to you all!

Randy

Alfred Forns
03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Randy the tides At Ding are manipulated and not entirely natural You need to take your chances The past couple of years has been better than previous but nothing like the past

I was there two weeks ago and nothing much to shoot Lots of birds including spoons but far away !!!

Randy Stout
03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks Alfred:

I guess I will just pick the day that works best for my family schedule, and take my chances! I appreciate the input.

Randy

Alfred Forns
03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
That is what I would do Randy !!! If you don't see much at Ding might want to head down the road to Blind Pass Pass between Sanibel and Captiva Park just over the bridge on the left There usually are birds close to the water and tame !!!!

Maxis Gamez
03-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Randy,

I've been trying to find the same information for YEARS! but nothing. Ding is a hit or miss place. I think you are doing the right thing.

Jack Howdeshell
03-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Randy as stated, the tides at Ding are very unique. Because of the man-made water control measure in place on the inner loop of Wildlife Drive and the natural controls, so to speak, between Ding and Pine Island Sound, the tides can be very delayed from posted times for the Sanibel area. There are times of the month during the weaker tides that you see very little affect at all in the prime viewing/photographing areas. Other times when the tides are stronger, it can pull the water out to the point that is will take the birds completely out of range as well. I have been able to move around the island(s) to find some opportunities even when the subject matter in Ding is non-existant or too far off. Even when the tide chart appears to match the best light, in reality the timing may be very different once you get there. The light may be gone before Ding actually gives up the water. I tried my best to read the tides at Ding, because when I'm wrong, I end up dragging a two-person kayak several hundred yards thru the mud to get back to the truck or wait it out.

Peter Murray
03-24-2008, 07:12 AM
http://www.thebaitbox.com can give you a printable tide table for Sanibel Lighthouse-Point Ybel. For Ding Darling East add 1.30 for the western part add 2.00 hours. East, I believe, are those areas before the tower. West is beyong the tower on the drive. Because of the shallow nature of the enpoundments winds do have an effect. A North Wind can really empty the enpoundments as it did in January. So much so that it lowered the water temperature so much that Gar and Mullet died by the hundreds do the temp drop.The Alligators were not on the fish because the water temp was so cool that they were very inactive. The vultures had a feast.
Peter Murray

Alfred Forns
03-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the link Perter It is a good reference !!! Sure wish we could back to the normal flow in Ding !!! Went over a couple of times this past week and not much going on The night herons were starting to nest just at the exit !!! Lots of birds !!!