PDA

View Full Version : Yet, another old water lily

Jay Sheinfield
10-31-2010, 08:46 AM
The pads were pretty silted, so I darkened and smoothed the surface with low opacity brush.
Some lily pad leaf repair. Cropped to corner, since I like the diagonal markings on the pads.

I'll stop with the water lilies for a bit................:)

I need some help on the posting here..............I just got a new monitor and calibration software, and the posting is way darker and more saturated than the original. My original color space is pro-photo.....then converted to sRGB for posting. Should I be viewing the posts on my monitor set to sRGB color space????????? Never had this problem before:(.

Nikon D3s
ISO 800
1/100 sec @f/22
240 mm

Hand held

Comments pls......................

Ken Childs
11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Jay, this flower may be getting old but it's still a beauty! The colors look good on my monitor. The BG is a little dark but since I like it that way, I don't consider that to be a problem. I know you like the markings on the pads but with the center of the flower pointing up, my eye is being pulled away from the lower parts of this shot so I would consider cropping some off the bottom....maybe to just below where the flower stem enters the water. If you have more shots of these, keep posting them. You've done a good job of mixing up the angles and crops so I'm certainly not getting bored of them. :)

Steve Maxson
11-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi Jay. The saturation and exposure are not noticeably "off" on my monitor either. Another good job on the sharpness and DOF. I can't say that I'm sold on the corner crop on this one - with the flower at the top of the frame and angled upward. I wonder if this might look better with the flower at the LRC instead? You would lose most of the leaf markings that way, though - but they are having a tough time competing for my attention with the bright colors of the flower. :)

Jay Sheinfield
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback...............I'll work on it some moire.....................

Anita Bower
11-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Do keep posting these great photos of waterlilies. As Ken wrote, you are showing us how to "work" a subject. Beautiful colors and composition. I like the corner crop and the dark bg. I suggest cropping from the bottom to above where the stem goes into the water, almost to the tip of the petal. That would eliminate distracting elements--the bright spot where the stem enters the water and the lighter part of the leaf. The diagonal markings on the pad are nice, but take away from the focus on the flower. Nice job.