PDA

View Full Version : Baby tortoise

Stu Bowie
10-31-2010, 06:55 AM
I have just returned from a five day trip to our Kruger National Park. I thought I would start with one of the little guys. Actually this is a baby tortoise, no larger than my fist, if that. We were the only car on the road at the time, and as we stopped alongside him, he seemed to be going around in circles, and not managing to get across to the other side of the road. It was 42 deg C, so hopefully he wasnt burning his tiny feet.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/400
F/5.6
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand held from the car.

Harshad Barve
10-31-2010, 07:00 AM
Reminds me temperatures we have here Stuartbhai

lovely compo and what a beautiful back of tortoise , wonderful textures on back too, excellent
TFS

Rachel Hollander
10-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Stuart - an unusual sighting and a pleasant reminder of why we need to go slowly on game drives. I too like the comp and detail on the shell.

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Great texture, detail and colour here Stu and good to see a different species posted. Just wonder if you were on a road and it was safe, could you not have got down to his/her level as the POV would have been great, eye level would have really made it and taken it to the next level for me. Good complimentary BG. :cheers::cheers:

TFS
Steve :cool:

Stu Bowie
10-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Great texture, detail and colour here Stu and good to see a different species posted. Just wonder if you were on a road and it was safe, could you not have got down to his/her level as the POV would have been great, eye level would have really made it and taken it to the next level for me. Good complimentary BG. :cheers::cheers:

TFS
Steve :cool:

Thanks Steve. Yes, I was on a road, but in Kruger, you are not allowed out of your vehicle at any time except at designated areas, so unfortunately, a lower angle wasnt possible. Here is an unedited shot to show how small this little guy actually was.

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Appreciate the explanation having not been to Kruger. Good to show the scale, nice one. :cheers:

Stu Bowie
11-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks a stack for the feedback guys and Rachel.