PDA

View Full Version : Project: Skimmer with Fish

Joerg Rockenberger
10-31-2010, 06:32 AM
Photographed in July at Bolsa Chica Wetlands, Huntington Beach, CA.

Thanks in advance. JR

Canon 1DmkIV (rented), 500F4IS, 1/500s, F4, ISO 400, Aperture Priority, Handheld

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Sweet light, not sure if it's oversaturated, maybe you get nice colors there like this. Wonderful to my eyes. :) Well done.

Stu Bowie
10-31-2010, 07:59 AM
The colours are more striking than your previous post, and I like them, especially showing the ripples of the water. The skimmer is well placed in the frame too.

Daniel Cadieux
10-31-2010, 08:13 AM
On your previous image I almost added to my comment that it looked like it was snapping up a fish with both mandibles in the water...now you post one with a fish:D! Is this from the same burst? The wings look quite long and elegant here. Good job on the silhouette!

Gary Hamilton
10-31-2010, 09:34 AM
I like this one even better than your previous skimmer post. No mistaking bird and behavior in this striking image. Very nice composition. Cheers.

Joerg Rockenberger
10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Thank you all for the kind feedback. I like the colors on this image also better although I prefer the other one for the action. Both images unfortunately were underexposed - need to relearn aperture priority mode - and I was a bit more aggressive in post-processing with this image to bring up the color in the background.

Daniel, this image was taken about 6 mins before the other one. So, it's most likely not of the same bird.

Best, JR

Daniel Cadieux
10-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks Joerg for the additional info. At least underexposing assured you of a perfectly black silhouette!:)

P.S. I think I'd also prefer a bit of a crop at bottom to bring the image to a 3:2 ratio.