PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Talek

Stephen Earle
10-31-2010, 04:39 AM
I found it quite difficult to capture the enormity of this spectacle. Here's a wide angle attempt. I added a graduated filter to the bg.

Any comments and advice appreciated.

7D
10-22
F18
ISO 640
1/320

Ken Watkins
10-31-2010, 04:55 AM
Stephen,

Far easier to see than capture, I like this a lot, although I think more river at the bottom may assist.

Nice to see something different to the usual panic stricken crossing, no doubt because the water level looks quite low.

I like the sky, it looks quite threatening.

Stephen Earle
10-31-2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks Ken. I was undecided about the crop as more river at the bottom would mean more plants. Quite a challenge to get a perfect vantage point along these rivers.

Ken Watkins
10-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Quite a challenge to get a perfect vantage point along these rivers.

Sometimes more of a BATTLE:D

Harshad Barve
10-31-2010, 06:26 AM
We seen them on Talek river side

Love the scene here and nice peaceful river crossing , sky is dramatic too , excellent image
TFS

Stu Bowie
10-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Hey Stephen, looks like you had a great trip and experience. Great sighting, and one for my bucket list. Comp works well as is, and would be interesting to know what the usual level of the river normally is, as it does look pretty low.

Rachel Hollander
10-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Stephen - I like the wide look showing the snaking line of wildbeasts. A different image of a crossing including the ones stopping for a drink.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi Stephen

Personally I feel if you go for panoramic you need more of the WB and have them charging across the river as they do, to give impact. With some crossing, others drinking you just don't get that feel of urgency, drive, momentum, drama that these crossing have. In addition re the sky, was this post production or with an ND filter applied? If applied which one, as I think you could have pushed it even more. just my thoughts Stephen for what it's worth. :)

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
10-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Whilst I agree that there is no sense of urgency or drama in this image, it makes a pleasant landscape and I think that there is room for the great dramatic migration images, and then also room for the migration in the environment going about their business as it isn't always grand drama.

Marc Mol
10-31-2010, 11:03 PM
I like the big sky, dust and colour you've created here Stephen.
In all of the crossings we saw, none included relaxed Gnu's drinking, which seems to indicate that the local crocs were no longer interested in feeding.
TFS

Stephen Earle
11-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks everyone. The Talek river's water levels are much lower than the Mara's. We saw several crossings of both rivers and I liked both.

When they cross deep water one is struck by the stress these animals go through. This scenario made for a nice change.

Steve, I added a filter in pp.

Valerio Tarone
11-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Hi stephen I suppose it's the famous migration of wildbeest. Yes I've seen images of these beasts with movements, urgency, a dinamic' effect. Yes. If you should have stayed higher you should get more river, less sky, a more scenery image. in any way like it.