PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at Smithers Lake

WIlliam Maroldo
10-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Sony A850~ Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro~ISO 1000~1/8000 sec~F/11~HH~aperture priority~10-17-2010~CS5
On my way to Brazos Bend State Park (Texas) I occasionaly stop at lake with a powerplant on the other side. It was foggy, and I was taking HDR images, but this one wasn't, and more or less accidental. As you can see 1/8000 sec is overkill. It could easily be cropped as a panarama, but using the new CS5 crop tool, which has a grid set up for rule of thirds compostions, I placed the sun at the upper right hot spot. Comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

WIlliam Maroldo
10-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I thought I'd post another version. One more thing: I was never a big fan of full framed sensors, until I got the A850, and only because Sony has yet to have a replacement of the discontinued A-700, which I had the misfortune of having one stolen. Anyway a 24MP sensor (6048x 4032) expands cropping possibities a great deal, as you would expect, but I hadn't realized it would be so useful. regards~Bill

Chris Ober
10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
i like the pano crop better but there is still too much dark emptyness on the right hand side I think.

Dave Mills
10-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Bill, I was thinking of your repost before I looked at it. The image really lends itself to a pano and has far more impact with that presentation.(way too much neg space in the orig)
Debating taking some off the rt. I don't mind it as is but could see taking a small bit off the left and cropping to the beginning of the w in your name...

Robert Amoruso
11-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Bill,

Eerily look well captured. On the crop I would remove some on the right but add some back on the bottom. Not a lot on the bottom, just some more on the 2nd post.

On the OP, I would try cropping up 2/3rds from the bottom of the dark space. I like left to right crop on that one.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey Bill,
Loving the pano personally.....just add a bit more light on the right....... with a selective levels or curves layer.....and perhaps similar on the left....and this one works for me! Nicely seen and well done overall!

WIlliam Maroldo
11-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks Chris, Dave, Robert, Roman. Appeciate the cropping and other advice. regards~Bill