PDA

View Full Version : Almost Forgot How to Use My Camera...

Arthur Morris
10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I finally got out of the office this morning, got all my lenses in the front seat with my three camera bodies, a BLUBB on the door frame, and a Bubble Level in the hot shoe.

There were lots of vultures and a pair of eagles. Almost got the pair on the ground.

This was my best effort:

Probably a young Turkey Vulture from last year trying to get its balance. With the hand held Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the EOS 7D. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops: 1/2000 sec. at f/4 in Manual Mode.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Michael Lloyd
10-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I like it. The light is perfect and exposure (of course) is spot on.

I can relate to the title of the thread. It's been an interesting year

Andrew McLachlan
10-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Arthur, I like pose and light on this one. I'm wondering if you are going to touch-up the little splits in the two wing feathers on the right side? Several weeks ago we had a few of these birds hanging out on our road, feasting on roadkill - raccoons. I got a shot of one on a fence post, you may have seen it on the blog.

Paul Lagasi
10-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Love the color of the face and the left wing position, right wing is ok...:o..I"ve tried for years to get one landing, almost always get them in the tree or hovering...Its snowing here tonite..going to be a crappy weekend...TFS

Bhushan Dalvi
10-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Artie, I like the nice outstretched wings and the landing pose. The shadows under the wings are controlled very well.TFS.

Michael Stern
10-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Artie,
It looks like one of those red headed eagles...??
Excellent Exposure etc...
Best,
Mike

Troy Lim
10-30-2010, 09:27 PM
What is the pink spot on the bottom left hand corner?

Michael Lloyd
10-30-2010, 09:30 PM
It looks like a sunlit cloud to me

Stu Bowie
10-31-2010, 06:06 AM
Excellent timing Artie, as these landing shots are far more difficult than take off's. Good wingspread, and I like the light and colours. Overall, nice and sharp too.

Arthur Morris
10-31-2010, 08:19 AM
What is the pink spot on the bottom left hand corner?

Good catch Troy. There was a sliver of branch there; I knew that I should have used a Quick Mask instead of the Clone Stamp Tool. Not sure how it got pink though.

Arthur Morris
10-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks all. Stuart, this was not a landing shot. The bird lost its balance and was pirouetting around. I framed it and when it faced me I created a few. The 7D handled the focus nicely.

Stu Bowie
10-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks all. Stuart, this was not a landing shot. The bird lost its balance and was pirouetting around. I framed it and when it faced me I created a few. The 7D handled the focus nicely.

Artie, I should have read your original introduction to the image. :)

Arthur Morris
10-31-2010, 08:35 AM
No sweat, I do the same thing often :)

ps: Plus, I learned how to spell pirouetting correctly :) :)

Troy Lim
10-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Good catch Troy. There was a sliver of branch there; I knew that I should have used a Quick Mask instead of the Clone Stamp Tool. Not sure how it got pink though.

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought it was a cloud.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Artie, loved the light and the one-foot-in-air pose.