PDA

View Full Version : Happy to see them back

Gary Esman
10-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Taken this morning at a local sanctuary. Awesome place to shoot but getting a low angle is problematic due to a fence.

7d, f/8, 1/320, iso 800, 500mm + 1.4 TC

Thanks for looking and appreciate any comments.

Alan Murphy
10-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Nice pose,comp and water. Would like to see more detail brought out in the blacks.

Alan Murphy
10-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Nice pose, comp and water. Would like to see more detail brought out in the blacks.

Paul Lagasi
10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Gary like the image showing the crest raised, nice bird
... maybe a little more room, all around, to include reflection..TFS

Doug Brown
10-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I like the raised hood. These birds are tough to expose properly; as Alan pointed out the blacks are a little blocked. It also looks like you've done some processing on the whites of the breast to get them under control (they look a little gray). Sharpness could be better; for that kind of pose f/5.6 should give you plenty of DOF and a shutter speed of 1/640. The extra shutter speed would probably have done the trick for you.

I just paid a visit to our local zoo today and saw my first Hoodie of the season; always a treat!

Stu Bowie
10-31-2010, 06:01 AM
The body shape of these guys have always amazed me. Interesting texture to the water, and I would maybe sharpen the eye.

Randy Stout
11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Gary"

Yes, it is always fun when they show up. Saw him sunday, but poor light.

He is a beauty. Agree about sharpening the eye a bit.

I find it very difficult to get much detail to show in the dense black bib on top of the chest, not so tough on the crest.

You might also be able to tease out a bit more detail in the whites with a blend mode selection (multiply or linear burn)

Cheers

Randy