PDA

View Full Version : Marbled Godwits

AlvanBuckley
10-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Taken on the James Bay mud flats in Hudsons Bay.
There was a group of 32 Marbled Godwit that returned to the same spot every day at the exact same time. So, on the second last day I was there, I hid in the grass nearby and waited for them to come. They came on time but must have noticed me because they landed further downstream than usual. Eventually they started walking towards me and I crawled towards them. I got close enough for a few shots before they all left to go eat!

As they took flight I didn't have enough time to decrease the shutter speed. I should have raised the ISO before hand. Anyway, I've learned...

The more I look at this photo the more I like it, and the more things I find out about it! I had this as my desktop background for over a month before I realized whose legs belonged to who!

ISO 200
0 ev
f/8
SS 1/1000
Nikon D300s + VR 80-400 @ 400mm
no flash

C&C always appreciated!
thanks in advance
-Alvan Buckley

Alan Murphy
10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Great action. Wish there was only one bird.

Paul Lagasi
10-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Normally you get an image of a Marbled Godwit either walking or standing still, its nice to see some action...I loaded your image into cs4 and removed the back godwit..really makes the image work...TFS
Alvan do you live up there?? not an easy place to get to...

AlvanBuckley
11-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the advice Alan and Paul.

Paul: I don't live up there, I live in Southern Ontario. But I did go for a 10 day trip this past summer! and I hope to go again :)