PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Island by Moonlight

Michael Lloyd
10-30-2010, 03:25 PM
It's been a while since I have put a post here (or anywhere for that matter).

This is a long exposure taken on Mustang Island just east of Corpus Christi, TX. Somehow, even though I planned to take a shot like this, I left my tripod at home. This isn't handheld though. I improvised and rested the camera and lens on the tailgate of my pickup.

EOS 1DsMK3 manual
TS-E 24mm f3.5 L II shifted down

ISO 1600
f3.5 @3.2s

Roman Kurywczak
10-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Hey Michael,
Nice to see you back again! If it wasn't for the title.....not sure I would know it was moonlit! Been there.....done that myself I would like more of a focal point because of the brightness......so I do wonder if you went with darker PP'ing if that would give more impact???? I thought about if you had included the moon......would have looked like the sun at those levels.....so not sure that would change the impact though. Great job on the improv! Whatever it takes!!!

Michael Lloyd
10-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey Roman, long time no "text" :cheers:

It's been an interesting year. I haven't taken a single "big trip" this year (if you don't count my trips to Big Bend). I've got a Bosque trip coming up in December so hopefully I'll be able to remember how to compose and shoot an image when I get there.

Hows this for a darker treatment? I considered both and did what I usually do posted my least favorite first :)

Dave Mills
10-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Michael, I also glad to see you posting again. I like the repost since it puts more emphasis on the moonlight which directs the eye to that location. The tiny lights in the backround do give me some indication it's at night. Debating about cropping some off the right which might give the area of interest more impact...

Robert Amoruso
11-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi Michael,

At 3.2s I don't expect the water in the FG to be sharp but the sand looks soft too - does it need more sharpening? Was a lack of DOF the problem. I understand no tripod here and perhaps it was DOF even with the tilt down. FOr me the FG would work if the sand was nice and sharp which is why I am asking as I like these kinds of beach scenes.

Great job on the moonlite exposure. I would clone out the lights on the horizon - my eye went right too them as soon as I looked at the image.

Michael Lloyd
11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Dave, it's good to finally have something to get an opinion of :) Hopefully Bosque will be good this year

I almost cloned the lights out for that very reason but they are part of the GOM landscape... I always struggle with things like that. Leave it like it was or make it look better. I would think the choice would be easy :)

I'm still learning how to use the T-S lens so I can't say if shifting down caused the foreground softness (doubt it). In spite of the nearly full moon focusing was difficult do to darkness. The T-S is a manual focus lens. Finding something to focus on proved difficult. The clouds were the easiest to focus on but at the expense of the foreground. Something for me to think about next time. Thanks Robert

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey Michael,
Still out in Zion....but repost does look better. I did see the sharpness but at 3.5.....not expecting that much. May have missed focus point in FG....but another round may make it enough. expirimenting during the day will only help with focusing!

Michael Lloyd
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Zion? Really? If I could have carved out the time I would be in Zion right now. I planned to leave last Saturday and make my way to Zion via Mesa Verde or whatever suited me along the way. Have fun!