1D MARK IV
300 2.8 AND TC 1.4X

ISO 800 f4.5 1/2000 420 mm

crop 1500 x 900

aperture 3

thanks for any suggestion

Geoff Warnock
10-30-2010, 01:46 PM
One with the wings open would be even nicer I think, but you certainly caught a unique moment. It looks like you could sharpen a bit more.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Looks like a rocket to me, must be fast, good job on getting this. I also like your choice of crop as well. Agree about sharpen a bit more.

Paolo Piazza
10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
One with the wings open would be even nicer I think, but you certainly caught a unique moment. It looks like you could sharpen a bit more.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?74343-jay-with-acorn

Julie Kenward
10-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Paolo, first off, you need to include all the necessary specs of the photograph and something about the post processing so we can properly critique it. If you're unsure of what to include there's a thread about posting guidelines at the top of this forum.

Is this a large crop? I think you've lost a bit of the detail quality here if it is. It also looks like it's a bit underexposed on the bottom of the breast and tail - that's also another reason that can account for the washed out grays in those areas. If it's not a large crop, did you run a round of noise reduction - as that can also smooth out the details in the feathers.

Paolo Piazza
10-31-2010, 04:07 AM
Paolo, first off, you need to include all the necessary specs of the photograph and something about the post processing so we can properly critique it. If you're unsure of what to include there's a thread about posting guidelines at the top of this forum.

Is this a large crop? I think you've lost a bit of the detail quality here if it is. It also looks like it's a bit underexposed on the bottom of the breast and tail - that's also another reason that can account for the washed out grays in those areas. If it's not a large crop, did you run a round of noise reduction - as that can also smooth out the details in the feathers.

I have been misunderstood: the second picture is just an answer to the question of Geoff Warnock; the picture to critique is the first one.

Julie Kenward
10-31-2010, 07:58 AM
Paolo, I only see one picture... ???

Paolo Piazza
10-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Paolo, I only see one picture... ???

in this post there is one picture at the beginning of the post with all the shooting data, so you can say your opinion about...

and there is a second picture as a link, which was for Geoff

Geoff Warnock
10-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Paolo, indeed I prefer the open-winged pose, though it is a shame to lose the blue flashes of the wings.