Cheryl Flory
10-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Canon 40D
Tamron 90mm macro at 90mm
1/100"
F11
ISO 400
EC +.33
I like the sunrise reflection, but is it enough to counteract the insect facing the wrong way (let alone correct head angle)

John Hawkins
10-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I like that you can see the reflection, so I do not mind the head angle. Very sharp and nice colors. Did you use an extension tube? Cropped? And I think this is the same insect on my post. Do you know what it is? Thanks for sharing.

Jerry van Dijk
10-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi Cheryl, I like the sun catching the thorax. It gives a glimpse of the environment in an otherwise "clean" image. I also like the details, the perch and the wing pointing in the UL corner. I would have liked a little more DOF, because the fly looks a bit detached from its perch and I would have liked to see a bit more of the front wing. Nice!

Ken Childs
10-31-2010, 07:04 AM
Hey Cheryl, I like this a lot as it is! Some might disagree but I have no problem with this angle. You could try selectively sharpening the antennae and there are a few spots in the BG (dust on the lens?) that need to be cloned out. A small slice cropped from the right would get the eye closer to a ROT position. A tiny bit more DOF would be nice but I do like this as presented and the pollen and the reflected sunrise really add a lot to this shot. Nicely done!:)

Cheryl Flory
10-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your time and comments!

Chris Ober
10-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Head angle doesnt' bother me either. Clean, crisp details. The sunrise reflection is pretty cool. I don't think I've seen one reflected in a bug before. :) I'm wishing the "perch" was more in focus.

Steve Maxson
10-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Cheryl. I'm glad you noted that the bright area on the thorax was the sun reflection - otherwise I would probably have suggested that you remove it. :) In this context, it works very well! The reflection and the sharpness on your Syrphid fly (AKA - Hover Fly, Flower Fly) are so cool that I don't mind the body/head angle. Well done.

Cheryl Flory
10-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks, Steve, and thank you for the fly I.D. too!