PDA

View Full Version : Tricolored Heron

Andrew McLachlan
10-29-2010, 09:38 PM

This Tricolored heron was photographed in Cuba on the island of Cayo Guillermo a few years ago while on a family vacation. Behind the resort there was an extensive mangrove wetland. The birds here were quite used to people so it was easy to approach them. This one was busy hunting for food in a small pond that remained during the dry season.

Cloned out debris in the water to clean it up and cloned out some distracting plant-life on the shore.

Nikon D200
80-400 VR lens @ 400mm (effective focal length 600mm - handheld)
f8 @ 1/250 sec
ISO 200

Look forward to comments.

James Salywoda
10-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Interesting composition as I like how the Heron is in line with the shore and in a nice low hunting pose.

Randy Stout
10-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Andrew:

Good hunting pose, intent looking, well exposed. Generally I would prefer a much lower shooting angle if possible, but the background doesn't look very pretty, so perhaps this was your best option.
I might consider a modest crop of the free space up from the bottom, perhaps 1/2 way to the reflection. You could also tone down the luminosity of the grey background patch a bit so it doesn't compete so much with the subject.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
10-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Andrew, this guy looks very similar to our green heron. I too like how the fishing pose follows the line of the bank, and would maybe crop in a tad tighter.

Jan Fourie
10-30-2010, 10:14 AM
nice shot with good eye contact and reflection