PDA

View Full Version : A Young Nickerson Oldie :)

Arthur Morris
10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
This fledgling Common Tern was photographed with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops: 1/250 sec. at f/8 (wide open). Fill flash with Better Beamer at -2 stops.

The young terns are not at all as approachable as the young skimmers.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Love the low angle and especially the blurred foot indicating what you say about approachability. So it was on the move as far away from you as possible right? The beautiful mottled plumage and open bill make it even stronger IMHO. Cheers :)

Arthur Morris
10-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks but no. If the bird were leaving it would be angled away from me. I think that it was starting to beg from an adult flying over, not necessarily one of its parents.

David Gancarz
10-29-2010, 08:02 PM
:)OK. I'll take you at your word, Artie (at my own peril -- but that's OK). I find the highlight specks to be distracting and somewhat artificial. Specifically, those on the head and the one bright spot on the edge of the breast. I see some of the tail, also.

(never post when you've drank three glasses of wine!!).

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Cool thanks.

Arthur Morris
10-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks David, The highlight specks are rain lit by the flash. Honest critiques are always appreciated.

Randy Stout
10-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Artie:

Very nice flash work here. I noticed the bright specs, didn't know if sand or water (assume the latter). Good shooting angle, open bill, angle in frame, all good.
Cheers

Randy

PS: I was typing at same time as you were answering Davids post.

Andrew McLachlan
10-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I like this one as is. The flash as given it a very nice look. The tip of the lower bill looks a tad softer than the tip of the top bill, probably from rapid movement as you said it was beginning to beg for food.

James Salywoda
10-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Exellent low angle nice stepping pose and the highlighted water drops from the FF look great.

Doug Brown
10-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Super image Artie! The low shooting angle and 'kiss' of flash, combined with a nice pose and excellent sharpness make this image a winner. I particularly like how well the water droplets stand out.

Stu Bowie
10-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Your angles of capture always work well, and I like the soft light in this. Good use of flash, excellent exposure, and I like the walking pose with the raised foot.

Sid Garige
10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Fantastic flash work Artie.

DanWalters
10-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Like the low angle and the little bit of blur in the raised foot. Also like the little bit of water on the bird as well.

Daniel Cadieux
10-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I always love the look of pale on pale (or white on white), and you always do these situations justice! I've also always didn't mind a bit of motion blur on moving feet and/or wing tips, so this one works quite well for me.

Bhushan Dalvi
10-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Nice one. I like the HA, BG and the raised foot.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Awesome flash work and a fantastic exposure, Artie. I love the motion blur in the raised foot.
I see a tiny bit of steel eye from the flash around the catchlight.

A question, if I may:
with active shorebirds (as this one seems to be), what is the lowest SS you feel comfortable with (presuming you were using a tripod)?
At what point do you push the iso, increase the flash power etc.?

Arthur Morris
10-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Awesome flash work and a fantastic exposure, Artie. I love the motion blur in the raised foot. I see a tiny bit of steel eye from the flash around the catchlight. A question, if I may:
with active shorebirds (as this one seems to be), what is the lowest SS you feel comfortable with (presuming you were using a tripod)? At what point do you push the iso, increase the flash power etc.?

I will take a closer look at the eye. I am usually pretty good with that stuff :) This is a tern, not a shorebird :) though it is obviously a bird of the shore. The shorebirds are sandpipers, plovers, and their allies.

If a bird is still, I used to be fine with no question with the 500 and the 600 at 1/60 sec. Even with the 2X TCs. With the 800, sharp at 1/30 and even much slower is possible with decent sharpness techniques. Sometimes I go for more ISO, or more flash, and sometimes I risk it :).

There is tons more info as above in ABP II.

Arthur Morris
10-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Your angles of capture always work well, and I like the soft light in this. Good use of flash, excellent exposure, and I like the walking pose with the raised foot.

Thanks Stuart, I believe that here I was down on one knee behind the lowered tripod... I rarely assume that position as I get big time cramps in the back of my thighs.

Joe Senzatimore
10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Brings back memories of a great summer.