PDA

View Full Version : Fast DelMarVa HELP!! needed

Ted Miller
10-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Due to a couple of illnesses (prevents spending time with relatives) I find myself with a couple of days to "kill" in the DelMarVa area.
* I am currently in Franklin, VA (about 40 mi ESE of Norfolk, just west of the Great Dismal Swamp).
* Sunday evening I will be in Lewes, DE
* Monday I take the ferry across to Cape May, where I am scheduled to stay until Thursday.

I have Sat & Sun to get from the Great Dismal Swamp up to Lewes, DE. Where should I spend my time? Chincoteague, Blackwater, Outer Banks?

I have photo equipment with me (up to 600mm f5.6), but some of the equipment is still new to me, so some patient subjects would be nice.

Also open to good bird-watching opportunities, even if not good photographic opportunities.

Reggie White
10-29-2010, 08:29 PM
A few days ago there was a report of a rare white-cheeked pintail duck that was using the ponds at Pea Island NWR on the Outer Banks. You could check e-bird or call the number at the refuge to see if it is still around. If not, there are always plenty of other birds there.

J. R. Weems
06-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Due to a couple of illnesses (prevents spending time with relatives) I find myself with a couple of days to "kill" in the DelMarVa area.
* I am currently in Franklin, VA (about 40 mi ESE of Norfolk, just west of the Great Dismal Swamp).
* Sunday evening I will be in Lewes, DE
* Monday I take the ferry across to Cape May, where I am scheduled to stay until Thursday.

I have Sat & Sun to get from the Great Dismal Swamp up to Lewes, DE. Where should I spend my time? Chincoteague, Blackwater, Outer Banks?

I have photo equipment with me (up to 600mm f5.6), but some of the equipment is still new to me, so some patient subjects would be nice.

Also open to good bird-watching opportunities, even if not good photographic opportunities.

I late with this, as I just joined, but next time your up that way, try the PRIME HOOK WLR-- LUCK! :) I would skip Blackwater- been twice, everything is closed off, except the loop. Not much good if you cannot view it.