PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah - 'on the rocks'

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Shot very early in the morning (7.05am according to the data), this was one of four brothers, later to hunt & kill an hour or so later. I just love their alertness, but for me this illustrated how sleek & athletic these animals are, although I must admit I have never seen an obese cheetah. He actually looks rather awkward sitting on the rocks, needs some padding perhaps :D

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/500 f/5.6 ISO400 FF/HH
Location: Samburu, just loved the red soil & rocks you get there, just different.

Stu Bowie
10-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Super comp Steve, and you certainly captured a great pose. I like the light and sharpness, and you have exposed the colours nicely.

Austin Thomas
10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
A lovely study Steve of a superb animal. Great composition and background.

Cheers

Austin

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Steve - I agree with Stuart and Austin. Well done!

TFS,
Rachel

Jeff Dyck
10-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Beautiful portrait Steve. I really like how the pose accentuates the sleek, long legs.

Marc Mol
10-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Love the alert pose here Steve.
I agree about Nth Kenya as well, we spent 5 days up in the Loisaba area a few weeks ago.;)
Couldn't believe how green everything was, which was unusual for that time of year, huge flooding earlier in the year as I'm sure you know.
TFS

Harshad Barve
10-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Terrific image Steve , Love the pose , compo and colors , Your best after that Tiger drinking water image :)
TFS

Andrew McLachlan
10-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Steve, I love the pose and the light here. Nice capture.

Hilary Hann
10-30-2010, 12:05 AM
This is such a beautiful image with absolutely perfect technical skill and artistic merit as well. He might look like he is sitting awkwardly, but it makes for some tension in the cat as he grips on to the rocky slope. Love the light in the eyes, the tail going down the rock and the wonderful Samburu colours. Even the little bit of green from the plant gives added depth. Now for some pointers … if I were to have taken the image I would have waited for the tail to curve the other way, would have either reduced dof so that the cat isn't sharp all over or increased the dof so the background didn't have the lovely soft feel. :D (PS that was a tongue in cheek joke, just in case anyone is worried!!! :o )

Stephen Earle
10-31-2010, 04:16 AM
I like the seperation from the bg you achieved here. As mentioned, the different environment adds to the image.

James Yule
11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Wonderful animal, great pose!

Morkel Erasmus
11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
missed this one Steve! gorgeous pose and setting. exposure spot on. also never seen an "obese" cheetah :)