PDA

View Full Version : Masa Mara Elephant

Billy White
10-29-2010, 10:46 AM
this image was taken during our 2006 trip to Cottar's 1920 Camp - Kenya - created several versions using LR3 and NIK - the tree was the only one for miles - I will post an up close pic in wildlife

Nikon D2x - 1/1000 f6.7 70-200f2.8 at 75 mm handheld

c&c

thanks

Billy

www.bgwhitephotography.com (http://www.bgwhitephotography.com)

denise ippolito
10-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Billy, I like the way you processed this-It's a bit different than the norm. I like the grain even though I must admit I'm not usually a fan of it. For some reason it suits this image well. The only thing that bugs me is the shadow on the Elephant seems a bit dark.

Arthur Morris
10-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Welcome Billy. Quite interesting light, image design, and processing. I like the grainy look and wish only that the elephant were a bit more defined. In places the light and the shadows do not seem to jibe. Do post a link to a tighter shot of the elephant here.

Indranil Sircar
10-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Nice composition, Billy. I agree with the above. Love those clouds but I can also think of pano crop with less of the cloud showing the vastness of land, only tree and the elephant. Lightening the shadow on the elephant may enhance the image better, IMHO. TFS.

Billy White
10-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Denise, Arthur and Indranil - I agree the elephant is a bit dark and somewhat less sky with more of the flat landscape would improve the image as I was trying to depict the vastness with a single tree - comments like these are why I only submit pics to BPN - check wildlife for an up close shot of the elephant

Billy

Arthur Morris
10-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey, I like the vastness. And you did a great job portraying it :)

Valerio Tarone
10-30-2010, 02:51 PM
what a more like in this is the sky! ..and the position of the elephant. Environmental picture.

Kerry Perkins
10-31-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi Billy and welcome! I really like this one and agree with comments regarding lightening the shadow area of the elephant. I think the colors and toning are very interesting and, while I am not a big fan of grain, I think the grainy look works well for this one. I love the expanse of sky and the sense of open space it provides. The vignette helps to keep the eye on the well-placed tree and elephant. Hope to see more of your work here!