PDA

View Full Version : The Lions share

Marc Mol
10-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Moments before, this pride male was 20M from this Gnu, when the Vultures started to assemble, he then ambled over and reclaimed his prize (after kicking off a female that had actually made the kill ;))
by placing his paw across the carcass defiantly.
Would have liked the whole wilde in but limitations of a prime lens unfortunately, you capture it whilst you can as the paw was only on it for a second or two.

D3s 500VR 1/400s ISO400@f/6.3 Nth Serengeti, Tanzania Oct 2010

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Think he has got the right attitude Marc? LOL

Nothing much I fear you can say on this because it's a good image Marc, with detail, colour & content. My only thought might be a little crop off the rhs, but...

TFS
Steve :cheers::cheers:

Andrew Merwin
10-29-2010, 08:12 AM
This is a captivating image. I like the composition. It looks like his paw was moving when you shot the image. Was it?

Robert Amoruso
10-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Marc,

In those instances were you are too tight, have you tried a pano stitch. Perhaps here, the image you made and then one of the kill's rump and one of the lion's rump - stitched in PS. I do this with the bears in AK all the time.

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Marc - Good detail and color. I agree that something looks a little off on the paw, not sure if it was movement or a strange position of the paw. I like the comp but another alternative might be to go in tighter with a more vertical comp maybe including both heads but not much more to either side.

TFS,
Rachel

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Marc - hope you don't mind. I didn't think my description of the suggested crop was very good so I took the liberty of trying it. Just an alternative.

Rachel

Harshad Barve
10-29-2010, 10:10 AM
excellent image Marc , cropping this REAL tight may look grand, that paw is killer
TFS

Harshad Barve
10-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Rachel , You beat me here :)

Ken Watkins
10-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Marc,

Given the "limitations" of your lens cropping seems to be the only way to change the outcome.

Rachel's repost is good but I would still prefer a little more of the Gnu, unfortunately this may end up "squarish", which some (not me), do not like.

Where's the graphic warning? (I do not seem to have smilies at the moment)

Hilary Hann
10-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Marc, love this photo. You've really captured the imperious nature of the male lion. I like the crop suggestions. Robert is a master of the pano stitch and that would be fun to try also.

One thing I've noticed is how well you've caught the glassy eye of the wildebeest, such a contrast to the lion's 'alive' eye.