PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillars

Leon Robinson Jr.
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp281/Leon_2008Photos/Munching-Caterpillars-1300_BP.jpgMy Dutchman's Pipe vine was very productive this year and I am still finding eggs/cats. Polydamus Swallowtails are still visiting me on a daily basis. Comments are welcomed.....

Canon 7D - Tamron 180 - 1/160 - f4.5 - ISO 400 - FFlash

Steve Maxson
10-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Leon. These are very colorful caterpillars! Nice job getting all 3 plus the leaf in sharp focus. The edge of the leaf really tells the story of what these hungry guys are up to. I think the image would have even more impact with a tighter crop - I would suggest cropping from the left almost to the edge of the leaf, and from the right almost to where the stem exits the top of the frame. You might also try toning down the very bright horizontal stem and small leaf as they are luring my eye away from those cool caterpillars. :)

Ken Childs
10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey Leon, you certainly get the cool looking bugs where you live! Having 3 posed like this on one leaf was a definite bonus! Like Steve, I think a tighter crop would help but if it were mine, I'd crop outside the dark green stripe on the left and about where Steve suggests on the right. I like the dark green bracketing the caterpillars. The overall look seems just a bit bright so I'd slightly darken the entire shot and would definitely try to tone down the stem and the small leaf. Overall this look good but with a few tweaks I think it could look even better. :)

Jerry van Dijk
10-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi Leon, they're a cute bunch! Good advice already given. This would have looked even better if the leaf had been loose from the stem, shooting at a slightly lower angle. But I'm not sure if you could have pulled that off here, because you seem to have been in a nice perpendicular plane when shooting this image.