PDA

View Full Version : quiver tree

peter delaney
10-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Guys and Gals

been a while sine I posted .So apologies.

This was taken on recent trip to namibia...

D3 14-24mm tripod kirk ball head,1/80 f16 iso100
taken early morning just after sunrise..
I notice in preview mode that there is some banding in sky that is not in the edited tiff version... is this due to resizing etc or something else.. be also interested in your comments on the composition , does the trunk over power image, does the merge of tree in BKG detract...
oops forgot... raw conversion in LR3 with minimal processsing... selective sharpeningon trunk only and resized PS5

Peter

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Dramatic colors!!! I do think the trunk is dominant. Perhaps a bit more to the right; as it does bother me a bit with the lt upper part of the tree clipped. Not sure a crop will fix that. Very cool pic regardless!! Don

Hilary Hann
10-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Peter, with the changes to the website I can't see horizontal images at one go, I have to scroll across so it becomes very hard to assess the composition. Having said that I really like this and I like the detail in the trunk, I would have preferred to have seen some separation between the trunk and the tree closest to it in the background. Beautiful colours and textures, really nice.

Nick Palmieri
10-29-2010, 06:50 AM
This looks like a cool place, great exposure. I bet you could spend hours just doing macro on these cool tree trunks...I am thinking the FG trunk is too dominant in this image. I wonder if you went 80% - 20% either way that it may be stronger.

Robert Amoruso
10-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Peter,

I like your juxtaposition of the trees and even though the FG left one is very dominate I feel it works here. What I would have preferred to seen was the first tree to the right of the FG trunk separated from each other.

The patterns of the close-up would also be a good study of the tree as well.

Dave Mills
10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Peter, great light along with a thoughtful comp. Great detail on the trunk but its taking up at least half the image. I might crop about a third off the left. Agree with folks above regarding the merge of the dominant tree.
This was shot at f16. The image is not greatly affected but I might have gone to f22 so all the trees would have been sharp.

Michel Pilon
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Hello Peter,

I really like the contrasting colors here due in part by the wonderful you used wisely! I agree with others that the fg tooks too much space and occupying half the image. I think that if it occupied one third of it, it should be better. Also I would have tried to position myself in such a way to have the first tree with all its branches (some are missing on the left).

But the picture remains very nice! Congratulations for this good shot!

Michel

Roman Kurywczak
10-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey Peter,
Nice to see you back. Yep....I'm with the too much crowd too.....but I think the seperation of the tree on the right would have helped. I do think if you take about 1/2 of it off the left....that will strengthen this......sweet light and cool concept but that FG tree is just a bit too dominant for me.

Ron Bernstein
10-31-2010, 08:41 PM
And now for something completely different, because I LIKE the bold cropping that dares the viewer to really engage with the fascinating texture of the trunk. My issue is with the sky. I think it's duller than it has to be, particularly with such beautiful light on the FG element. I agree with the recommendation to have the entire first tree to the right. Thanks for the great image!