PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcatcher

Michel Pilon
10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this picture is at the good section. Don't hesitate to move it if it is not the case...

Here is a picture I took very early in the morning when the mist embraced the Carbonneau's Marsh at Sherbrooke, Quebec. The light was awesome and the little droplets on this spider web acted like jewels giving it life like a dreamcatcher...

Any comments?

Thank you,

Michel

http://parcours.pilonm.org/pictures/insectes/toileAraneidae2.jpg

Model = Canon EOS 40D
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 300
Y Resolution = 300
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
Date Time = 2010-10-02 20:37:24
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 220
GPS Info IFD Pointer = Offset: 872
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/2000"
F Number = F8
ISO Speed Ratings = 320
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2009-09-29 08:02:21
Date Time Digitized = 2009-09-29 08:02:21
Shutter Speed Value = 11 TV
Aperture Value = 6 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 420mm

peter delaney
10-28-2010, 03:21 PM
lovely image.. no matter what section...
what a pity you put a dark frame around image.. for me it really detracts from such a small web image...

still a lovely image tho!

Robert Amoruso
10-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi Michel,

Landscape is a good place to post this image. I like the fact that you included the BG trees branches on the left. The juxtaposition with the FG branch and web strengthens the image.

On the crop, if you have it I would go a bit more on the bottom. The FG branch - on the left side have a horizontal section that is clipped at the intersection with the vertical right at the frame edge. IMO, best to add some more to not clip the horizontal.

I agree that for presentation here, without the frame is best.

Nice work.

Dave Mills
10-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Michel,Love the sepia tone,lighting and the angle you took the web. Agree with Robert on the small addition to the bottom if you have it. I feel the image as presented is well handled but another idea would be to crop from the left to the darker branch(3 branches away from the web) which almost makes this a vertical.Just a sliver off the top also. Also questioning whether to take out the flare circles...

Roman Kurywczak
10-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey Michael,
Must confess that I am not a fan of the large frame either......but onto the image. I would have preferred if you could isolate the web against the BG to the right a bit more. As presented I don't like the fact it touches the branches on the BG trees?/twigs? Are the specular highlights other webs? While I am OK with the juxtoposition....I do think it would be stronger if this was a tighter vert.......the lighting on the web is making it stand out nicely but I also feel a touch more on the bottom would also help. All in all I think this worked well....so I hope you explored other possible comps!

Michel Pilon
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Hello all,

Thank you very much for your pertinent and appreciated comments :)

I must say that that picture is taken from my website whose background is black. This dark frame around my picture just disappear when you look at it on my website. This is the trick I use to put my copyright around the little grey frame. You can see what I mean by going on my website :-) :
http://parcours.pilonm.org/cgi-bin/afficheInsecte.pl?toileAraneidae=2=2

On the crop, if you have it I would go a bit more on the bottom. The FG branch - on the left side have a horizontal section that is clipped at the intersection with the vertical right at the frame edge. IMO, best to add some more to not clip the horizontal.

Good suggestion Robert...!

I feel the image as presented is well handled but another idea would be to crop from the left to the darker branch(3 branches away from the web) which almost makes this a vertical.Just a sliver off the top also. Also questioning whether to take out the flare circles...

I tried your vertical suggestion but still prefer the horizontal finally. For the flares, I really prefer to keep them. IMHO, it brings magic/mystery to the whole picture whose name is "Dreamcatcher" ;-)

I would have preferred if you could isolate the web against the BG to the right a bit more. As presented I don't like the fact it touches the branches on the BG trees?/twigs? Are the specular highlights other webs?

I see what you mean. Next time I will try to put more attention to the POV.

Are the specular highlights other webs?

Probably because I remember that all the webs were illuminated that morning! Very impressive effect!

Cheers and Thanks again for all your comments!

Michel