PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt files-please help

Dan Avelon
10-28-2010, 06:17 AM
I downloaded some RAW files from my Canon 1DMKIII camera, the photos show just fine on camera's LCD but when I try to open the photo in Canon DPP I get this error message:

"unsupported file format" the thumbnail is not showing either.

I have tried copying the files again but it doesn't work :(

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Roman Kurywczak
10-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Hey Dan,
Did you try other software like Breezebrowser or another program to try and look at them? I had a few files that were bad as one card went on me but recovered them using a card recovery software. You can usually try it for free but won't be able to download the stuff......at least you will know it is there before you buy it! I use a program called Card recovery.....and it just retrieved a friends file after he accidentally formatted it. Just don't shoot over the images! I have no idea how it works.....kind of scary!

Roger Clark
10-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Roman's advice is good. Also, is this the same software that you previously were able to read the files from the card just fine, or is this the first time reading files from the card? If the first time, then upgrade software. If a card problem, try a different model card reader. I had a flaky card once where a fast reader would give errors, but a slow card reader read the cards just fine. If that doesn't work, recovery software.

Roger

Dan Avelon
10-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys I don't use a particular software, just copy the files manually in windows, I am going to buy another card reader and try, I will let you know what happens.

Dan Avelon
11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
So the problem was the DPP software, I had too many images in one folder and it was crashing when creating the thumbnails and therefore corrupting the RAW files. I divided up the files into several folders and it works now!

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the additional info Dan, and pointing out the reason for the problem you had. Do you have an updated version of DPP? Lots of such "bugs" are sorted out with updated versions...