PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Falls

Andrew McLachlan
10-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Here is another shot from my autumn trip. This is Furnace Falls on the Irondale River in Ontario's Haliburton Highlands. It is rather hard to believe that they actually call this a waterfall, but they do. I was rather disappointed with the lack of color that remained and the number of leafless trees, due to windy conditions in the days leading up to my arrival at this location. However, I did like the leafless tree hanging over the river and the aspens in the distance.

Nikon D200
12-24mm lens @ 12mm (effective focal length 18mm)
ISO 100
f22 @ 3.6 sec.
Nikon polarizer
1 & 2 stop Singh Ray grad filters handheld in front of lens

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Very nice, I like the birch tree and the bare one over the river. Good contrast and the water has a good flow to it. Too bad the clouds were not more dramatic. I fell your pain as I was a week late everywhere I went this year or the leaves just fell green with the wind.

Roman Kurywczak
10-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Hey
Andrew,
You had some tough conditions! I do think you mangaed to pull out the best image you could given those conditions and the bare tree does add to the overall scene. I have debated the tree on the right for some time and will offer you this suggestion; try cloning patching as much as you can out or even cropping if you are against that.....I feel that little bit of color draws the eye and takes away some of the impact of the bare tree.....kind of leaves me wanting more color then with it there.....so IMO it would be stronger w/o it with either of the choices. Make sense? I was fortunate this year to catch the leaves across the country and even back here in NJ......can't tell you how many times I missed!

Dave Mills
10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi Andrew, good comments above and I also feel you did the best you could with what was in front of you. You framed the scene well with the bare tree adding that needed area of interest. While the clouds don't add alot of interest I can still see a tonality which helps. The lit spot of color at the end is also a plus...

Andrew McLachlan
10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. Much appreciated.
Roman, the tree on the left does bother me a little. I wish I could have gone wider at this location. I did, however, shoot a vertical which I prefer much better. It really emphasizes the bare tree. I will try to post later today or tomorrow.

Nick Palmieri
10-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Agree with other comments. I am wondering about a B&W conversion on this one.

Robert Amoruso
10-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Andrew,

Roman summed up my thoughts well and I look forward to seeing the vertical you mentioned.

Michel Pilon
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Hello Andrew,

I agree with Roman comments and suggestions. You got a good pov and 3.6 seconds was an excellent choise in order to get the water milky.

I'll wait for your vertical compo...

Cheers,

Michel