PDA

View Full Version : Monopod?

Alfredo Fernández
10-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey,
ive just sold my nikkor 70-300mm VR,
im looking to buy a 300mm F4 AFS and a TC14eII this week.
as im finishing school, im going into a 4 week trip to Manu NP, in Peru.
im really worried about the light quality and quantity,
am i going to be able to handhold the image, 'cause ive heard the light there is very poor.
So i was looking at a Induro AM25 aluminium monopod to help there...
im worried about loosing "THE" shoot of a upcoming flying bird,
So i dont know if its worth it...
i know the ISO performance of my D300s is quite good but i dont want to push it more than iso 2000.
Should i buy a monopod? should i hand hold?
thanks a lot,
Alfredo

Desmond Chan
10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Should i buy a monopod? should i hand hold?
thanks a lot,

You can hand-hold with the monopod attached. A D300 (with or without battery pad) + 300f4 + monopod is not really that heavy. If you do find the whole set-up too heavy, I'd suggest start working out. Build up your shoulder muscles. Simply start shooting hand-held with everything attached will also make you stronger.

Alfredo Fernández
10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
i forgot to say i already own a Induro AT313 (tripod) and a Cullmann 30nm (ballhead), but i think i will be using those when im on a hide or in a canoe, cause in the Manu NP (have been there before, sadly before i started with photography) you have to walk for about 7 hours a day under the forest canopy and i think a monopod is quicker to set-up than a tripod. In day light or when im in the river i think i would use with no support, as light is strong enough, but at 5am under the canopy, tends me to buy a monopod.
Which mono do you recommend? Is a ballhead good or should i buy something else? (my budged is pretty low, as im still in 4th grade high school)
Thanks

Marina Scarr
10-29-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't know which head would work for you but I love my Monostat tripod bc of the special base and rotating leg. It is made of carbon fiber so very light but very durable. Take a look at it and good luck on your trip.

Marina

Julie Brown
10-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Hello Alfredo. I use a 300mm lens plus a 1.4X TC on the Induro AM34 monopod, with a RRS monopod head. I also find it easy to hand hold this when I need to shoot upward.

Mike Nardini
10-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I second the Monostat. I have the RS16K ART and it is great on slick surfaces (eg boat deck and ice). It holds a good amount of weight (I used it this morning with a D300 and 500 f/4 without any problems) and, when coupled with the RRS monopod head, cannot be beat.

Desmond Chan
10-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Which mono do you recommend? Is a ballhead good or should i buy something else? (my budged is pretty low, as im still in 4th grade high school)
Thanks

I use a Manfrotto that costed less than $100 but could handle heavier load (you may not need that). A ballhead should be fine in your case.

Mike Nardini
10-30-2010, 09:48 PM
I believe I paid about $175 for the Monostat and the RRS combo was about $225. Fairly pricey but I felt it was worth it for the stability. I am certain there are less costly alternatives of which some are mentioned above. Good luck with your decision!