PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue with nesting material

Sid Garige
10-27-2010, 06:23 PM
From last season.
Canon 7D, f5.6 1/1200, ISO 800
580 EX in manual mode 1/2
I should have paid little more attention to histogram. Lost detials on the white part of crown.

Arthur Morris
10-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Pretty much perfect Sid. I am wondering how you focused so accurately on the eye?

Paul Lagasi
10-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Perfect fit in the frame, twig in bill, wings...nice one. Question Sid, why does the heron not have any feathers on his thighs? Are they molting?

Bhushan Dalvi
10-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Sid, great capture. I like the open wings and the sharpness is good. Details on the crown would have made it perfect.

Sid Garige
10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Pretty much perfect Sid. I am wondering how you focused so accurately on the eye?

Thanks Artie. In fact, eye was not that sharp in the original image. I applied couple of rounds of smart sharpening on the eye selectively. Looks like critical focus was on the chest area.
PS: Thanks for the advise on writing. I started reading "on writing well".

Sid Garige
10-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Perfect fit in the frame, twig in bill, wings...nice one. Question Sid, why does the heron not have any feathers on his thighs? Are they molting?

Paul,

They got feather on the thighs. Different color. here is a closeup.

Paul Lagasi
10-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Lolol..I need to look more carefully, **** it looks like drumsticks...wow..thanks Sid

Bonnie Block
10-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Those are nice drummies! Very nice image--great position and nesting material a bonus. Sorry about the
crown being blown--

Stu Bowie
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Good underwing detail captured Sid, and I like the show of the full wingspread. His nesting material adds interest.

Arthur Morris
10-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks Sid. Can you find out what AF mode you were using? That pose is always a tough one on AF. Good luck with the writing.

Dan Avelon
10-28-2010, 06:23 AM
very beautiful with the nesting stuff, the head and beak still look soft to me, maybe more sharpening will help it?

Arthur Morris
10-28-2010, 07:24 AM
very beautiful with the nesting stuff, the head and beak still look soft to me, maybe more sharpening will help it?

The face and the sprig look sharp to me. What are others seeing?

DanWalters
10-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Very nice! Like the position of the wings with the material in the beak. Looks sharp to me as well.

denise ippolito
10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Beautiful pose and details Sid. I agree w/ your self critique regarding the crown-but it was not the first thing I noticed. I like the image and it looks sharp to me.

Sid Garige
10-28-2010, 09:24 AM

Dan,
Some research I did no image sharpness few months back.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?42700-Image-Sharpness-an-investigation&highlight=

Dan Avelon
10-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Dan,
Some research I did no image sharpness few months back.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?42700-Image-Sharpness-an-investigation&highlight=

Sid, I saw that thread however I feel we can tell if an image is sharp or not, to my eyes the chest area is clearly where the focus had locked and eye looks less sharp. Can you post a 100% crop from the eye area? my suspension is that it is somewhat OOF.

It is a beautiful image regardless.

BTW, I think mods should clean up the threads with half of the example images taken down and some major posters gone...

Dan

Sid Garige
10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Sid, I saw that thread however I feel we can tell if an image is sharp or not, to my eyes the chest area is clearly where the focus had locked and eye looks less sharp. Can you post a 100% crop from the eye area? my suspension is that it is somewhat OOF.

It is a beautiful image regardless.

BTW, I think mods should clean up the threads with half of the example images taken down and some major posters gone...

Dan

Dan,

I did lot more research on why images appear soft on some monitors and sharp on other monitors. It is due to the pixel dimension and contrast variations. I can post a 100% crop of the eye and there is a possibility you will come back and say it is not sharp. You believe you can judge image sharpness by looking at an image and I disagree with that based on my research. On my calibrated screen I see this image sharp and you dont. Its alright. If you even find an image produce perfectly identical histograms on different screens with different pixel dimensions, pls let me know I will change my opinion.

Like I always said, we all do what we think is right and stick to it.

Thanks
Sid

Dan Avelon
10-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Dan,

I did lot more research on why images appear soft on some monitors and sharp on other monitors. It is due to the pixel dimension and contrast variations. I can post a 100% crop of the eye and there is a possibility you will come back and say it is not sharp. You believe you can judge image sharpness by looking at an image and I disagree with that based on my research. On my calibrated screen I see this image sharp and you dont. Its alright. If you even find an image produce perfectly identical histograms on different screens with different pixel dimensions, pls let me know I will change my opinion.

Like I always said, we all do what we think is right and stick to it.

Thanks
Sid

Sid, why not provide a 100% crop? I agree the chest area is sharp so we can compare the eye to see if it is as sharp as the chest or not?

also this

You believe you can judge image sharpness by looking at an image and I disagree with that based on my research

does not make any sense to me, of course you tell sharpness by looking at a photo, what else do you do it? run some magic math formula to tell you if it sharp or not?

Any ways, this image is great, I just read in pane #5 that you said yourself the eye was not as sharp in the original and the focus was on the chest, this was my opinion when I first saw the image too, so I guess we agree :)

great work, thanks for sharing

Dan

Sid Garige
10-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Sid, why not provide a 100% crop? I agree the chest area is sharp so we can compare the eye to see if it is as sharp as the chest or not?

also this

does not make any sense to me, of course you tell sharpness by looking at a photo, what else do you do it? run some magic math formula to tell you if it sharp or not?

Any ways, this image is great, I just read in pane #5 that you said yourself the eye was not as sharp in the original and the focus was on the chest, this was my opinion when I first saw the image too, so I guess we agree :)

great work, thanks for sharing

Dan

Not a problem. Glad you enjoyed it.

-Sid