PDA

View Full Version : Balancing big lens on Wimberley II

Michael Pancier
03-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Lately seems I've been having a hard time balancing my lens. I had it tweaked perfectly using the 1d mark II with flash arm bracket; etc. with and w/o 1.4x tc (my 500 4.0L)

but with the lighter 40d i'm having issues. I connected the plate to the lens as directed, but it seems I run out of room sometimes. and rather than spending a few minutes, I'm there for a while trying to get the **** thing to balance.

For some reason, I used to be able to get it to stay fixed in any position I put it. Now when loosened, it doesn't.

it also doesn't help that I can't find the instructions that came with the head (doh!) ...

also, the flash bracket ... is it better to lock it towards the back or the front of the plate? i've been locking it on the back of the plate to help the balance cause if in the front, I run out of room to slide the lens.

suggestions? what should I be doing?

Robert O'Toole
03-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Michael,

A big lens? Its just a "500" :)

Make sure the lens is positioned correctly, vertically (this is done by sliding the clamp stage up and down) so that the lens is centered vertically with the axis of the tilt control (this is the top knob).
50% of more of Wimb users have this adjustment set up all wrong.
I would recommend searching Arthur Morris' bulletin archives (http://www.birdsasart.com/bn.html)for this info, I think he has covered this before.

Michael Pancier
03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Michael,

A big lens? Its just a "500" :)

Make sure the lens is positioned correctly, vertically (this is done by sliding the clamp stage up and down) so that the lens is centered vertically with the axis of the tilt control (this is the top knob).
50% of more of Wimb users have this adjustment set up all wrong.
I would recommend searching Arthur Morris' bulletin archives (http://www.birdsasart.com/bn.html)for this info, I think he has covered this before.

I bought the head through BAA and he had instructions with it and of course I can't find it.

hmmm

Alfred Forns
03-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Mike adjust first the hight You need the center of gravity just above the lens axis Then adjust the back and forth part It will balance perfectly

The 40D is very light and will have to move the lens further back but the up/down will be the same We normally change it when going from the 500 to 600 They have a different diameter

Michael Pancier
03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Mike adjust first the hight You need the center of gravity just above the lens axis Then adjust the back and forth part It will balance perfectly

The 40D is very light and will have to move the lens further back but the up/down will be the same We normally change it when going from the 500 to 600 They have a different diameter

will try it. perhaps that's my problem. I was doing the back and forth first then the height and hence my problem....

thanks.

Bob Ettinger
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Mike,

You might need a longer lens plate due to the lighter body. That way you would not "run out of room".

Don Blue
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I followed the instructions from Wimberley that came with the head...it says to balance the lens back and forth first with the vertical adjustment at it's lowest position...then, raise the lens vertical until the center of the lens, looking at the front is just above the center of the top adjustment knob....I did mine like this and it works perfect....:)