PDA

View Full Version : Little Girl Arches the Arch

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I was going though some images of Utah before I head out this weekend to see what I have to plan. I have not been shooting much as too busy with work but hope to have some time to post and learn. I saw this little girl in the arch and do not remember her when I shot the photo, thought it add a little perspective. Was there in middle of day with harsh light and shadows. Converted with Nik Silver Efex

MarkIII
16-35 lens
iso 100
1/60@f/16
tripod

Dave Mills
10-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Dennis, Interesting view of the arch with a conversion that shows detail and contrast. The girl under the arch is showing scale which is a positive.(might have preferred her standing though)
A few things. I would of added a small bit to the left rather than cut the bottom rock. I noticed a halo around the arch probably due to PP and the clouds in the back are showing very little detail.
If you can omit the halo and bring some detail out of the clouds it will strengthen the image...

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Dennis, like the idea , silver efex rocks! Might be over sharpened a bit, as i see a halo effect, at least on my monitor. Great specs, congrats, on a unique perspective!
Don
PS love your Avatar statement!:2eyes2:

Andrew McLachlan
10-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Dennis

I love the detail in the rocks/arch. Agree with Dave's comments regarding halo and cloud details.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I could not move to the left as the sun was right there with my hand shielding it and was up against a cliff. The sun has this backlit and had major lens flare too so I guess I'm trying to make apple cider from cow manure. I know one thing it is a **** of a hike back up there. I played with it some more but it still needs lots of work. Thanks everybody for your help and will be posting more as I have some free time now.

Roman Kurywczak
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Hey Curly,
I see you made it out to Arches! Going there in Dec. myself. I like the way the pose mimics delicate arch and as the halo was mentioned on the op.....still there but a lot less on the repost. I do like this angle but agree with Dave on the touch more room on the right. I think the B&W works weel in this case so just a few tweaks will make this shine.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm heading back out this weekend, I just never did a whole lot with the photos from last year so now I will have twice as many to sort out when I get back.

Robert Amoruso
10-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Dennis,

I think this is a good candidate for HDR or exposure blending. I like the hard graphic look of the shadow side of the arch, but the halo and funky sky are problematic and a function of trying to milk too much out of the single exposure. One exposure for the BG and one for the shadow side layered and masked in PS would be awesome.

B&W a great choice for working with this strong light.

Michel Pilon
10-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Hello Dennis,

I really like your pov and the decision to go with B&W for this shot. I like the presence of the girl and like the fact that she is standing like the arch (same position, same angle). Her presence give us also an idea of the size of the arch. I noticed that you tried to get rid of the halo but the work is still visible. If the halo was created as I think using H&S with PS, I suggest you to be assured that the radius used is not less than 150.

Cheers,

Michel