PDA

View Full Version : Cranes to roost

Ben_Sadd
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Had a great experience seeing a large european crane migration a couple of weekends ago. Unfortunately they were coming in the west (direction of the setting sun). I got a chance to use my freshly acquired 70-200mm f/4 though and try for some backlit shots of the flock.

Any comments welcome.

7D
70-200mm @ 173mm
ISO 800
f/8
SS 1/800
Manual

A small crop around the edges to remove some partial birds and also removal of one overlapping bird. Other than that, just some levels adjustment.

Ben_Sadd
10-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I was getting a little annoyed by the unsharp beak on the front lower bird, so hence this repost. I also ran some NR on this one.

Don Railton
10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Ben

I much prefer the repost with the reduced noise although there seems to be some artifacts around the edge of the birds on this version... Lots to like about the composition in this, has a nice simple timeless elegance. If it were mine I would consider increasing the background saturation a little more and/or maybe the blue in selective colour to maintain the gradient but lift the LRH corner..

DON

ps. I have that lens (~ 2 years) and it is one of my favorites. Sharp as and light. Its probably one of the best value for money L series you can get...

John Chardine
10-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Ben- I like the repost because you did need some NR in the OP. I really like this one though. No, or very little overlap in the individuals in the key here, as well as the pleasing pattern, and sharpness. Well done!

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I didn't notice the unsharp beak until you mentioned it, the repost with NR has a much pleasing background. Like how there are no overlap among the birds and I would try Don's suggest to bring out the sky more. Nicely captured, well done.

Rachel Hollander
10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Ben - agree that you needed the NR and the repost is much better. All the suggestions are good. Well spotted opportunity and you created a very pleasing image.

TFS,
Rachel

Ben_Sadd
10-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the comments. I will play around with boosting the background.

Julie Kenward
10-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Nice opening photo from a composition standpoint and the NR really helped. I also own the 70-200mm f/4L and wow, does it perform. It's the "go to" lens when I want some soft light and sweet bokeh. You won't be able to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.