PDA

View Full Version : Theme Backlit Ivory Gull

Paul Guris
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Taken in Cape May, NJ where it was seen and photographed by masses of birders last year from Nov 27 - Dec 11. I owned my very first SLR (D or any other kind) for all of a month when I took this, so any and all comments are welcome.

Nikon D90, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED @ 270mm
f/5.3, ISO 200, 1/4000, -0.67EV, Circular Polarizer

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1427/5118810143_71107b8a4b_b.jpg

Richard Stern
10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Paul,

A great bird - we had one in NS last winter too, and unfortunately with the melting of the polar ice, they're going the same way as the Polar Bear, and numbers are supposed to be down by 90%! So we should try hard to see and photograph them while we still can. I like the idea of this image, with the reflection and the water droplets, particularly the one on the end of the bill. But as an image, for me there are a few small problems - too much of the head is hidden, the bird is too centered with not enough room on the right hand side, and the reflection is partly cut off at the bottom. Actually, on second look, I'm not sure if that's a distorted reflection or a piece of crud on the water. Either way, it's distracting. It would be nice if the gray looking wings were whiter, although the overall backlit effect is good,

You have given me an idea - if it's OK with you, I'll post one of my NS Ivory Gull images in the next day or so, and you can get your own back!

Richard

Richard

John Chardine
10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
The winter of 2008-2009 was a very big year for IVGUs in eastern NA. A keen birder here tallied about 50 probable birds in different places.

I like the image with the drips. It really shows some nice action. I think the reflection is strong enough to be included, and in a way it completes the "story".

Too bad the light was overhead and by the looks of it to the left. The lighting does fit the backlit theme! A little detail in the face and belly would have been nice. As there is clear motion from left to right I would crop some off the left and give a bit more room on the right if you have it. Water cleanup would help if this fits with your ethics Paul.

If I remember I'll do the same as Richard and post an image of the Sambro, Nova Scotia IVGUs from January 2009. A few of them made it into a photo spread in North American birds last year.

Paul Guris
10-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the comments. They are very helpful. I'm going to see if I can selectively lighten up the face and belly to see what's there. I've only just started playing with selective lightening and darkening.

Water cleanup would help if this fits with your ethics Paul.
Ethics, yes. Abilities, not so much. I have a lot to learn on the post-processing end of photography.

If I remember I'll do the same as Richard and post an image of the Sambro, Nova Scotia IVGUs from January 2009. A few of them made it into a photo spread in North American birds last year.

Sambro? I chased a Little Egret up there in the late 80s or early 90s!

I have another backlit Ivory Gull shot that I may also post for comment. I have plenty of non-backlit photos. I managed to brutally whittle my 1,000 plus images of this bird to about 50, but it took me some time to do it. As a beginner, it's still a bit tough to toss anything that is reasonably sharp and clean.