PDA

View Full Version : Black-capped Chickadee

Jim Crosswell
10-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Here is another image with a tree trunk as a BG. This was a set-up in my backyard. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L F4
1.4 TC
ISO 400
f/9
1/1000s
Tripod

Randy Stout
10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Jim:

Nice colors, well exposed, complimentary background.
For my tastes, a bit oversharpened. I am seeing some jagged lines along the edges of the primary feathers.

I think the scale of the perch is great, but the way he is sitting, his lower profile is a bit unusual.
Might tone down the brighter tan area of the perch just above his back.

cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
10-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Jim:

Nice colors, well exposed, complimentary background.
For my tastes, a bit oversharpened. I am seeing some jagged lines along the edges of the primary feathers.

I think the scale of the perch is great, but the way he is sitting, his lower profile is a bit unusual.
Might tone down the brighter tan area of the perch just above his back.

cheers

Randy

Thanks for the comment and suggestions Randy. What appears to be jaggies is the feather edges that appears in the RAW image. Does the image look oversharpened to you otherwise? I will tone the brighter bark area.

DanWalters
10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice background and I like the way the perch intersects the frame.

Randy Stout
10-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the comment and suggestions Randy. What appears to be jaggies is the feather edges that appears in the RAW image. Does the image look oversharpened to you otherwise? I will tone the brighter bark area.

Jim: Interesting about the raw file showing the jaggy look. Some of the fine tan feathers look a bit crunchy to me, almost a bit granular in texture, but pretty mild.

Randy

Duane Noblick
10-27-2010, 04:24 AM
I like the head turn and the curves of the perch. The tree background compliments the Chickadee very nicely.

Jim Fenton
10-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Cute as can be and I like everything about it with the exception of two things I might address...

The bright part of the perch just above the subject and the darkness of the BG on the right side...I might try a QM and bring that up a bit to even out the background.

Kiran Poonacha
10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Beautiful Setting, nice light, Bg and perch....

denise ippolito
10-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Jim, Very nice sharp details and I love the pose. Great suggestions already given. I might back off the sharpening just a hair if it were mine. Well done.

Jim Crosswell
10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I will process the image again and see how it looks.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi Jim, great exposure on the blacks on the head, and I like the pose. The BG is so complimentary and works well with the colours of the bird. With regards to the sharpening, I do detect a bit of crunchies in the tan feathers on the neck, just above the wing. The sharpness on the head is perfect.

RAM MALLYA
10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
sharp image ,great Bg