10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Canon 40D
Canon 70-200 2.8 with 1.4 extender at 98mm
1/400"
F4
ISO 800
EC +.33
saved at 78% to get within BPN guidelines

nearly full frame. a bit taken off from the left, which I think should probably be put back. I would have preferred more room, but was already zoom out as far as possible with the lens I had on the camera. And decided to get the photo, instead of perhaps lose the chance by moving and taking the time to change lenses. lol And I now see a bright green splotch of trees between the two bucks that I thinks should be cloned out.

This was during the rut season last year, and I watched these two bucks chasing some does across the river toward my side. They were preoccupied and didn't notice me until they ran around the brush pile you see behind them, and toward me. They were very surprised to see me, and quickly put on the brakes, the young buck watching the old guy to find out whether to follow the does (which ran right past me) or to return back to the other side of the river so not to have to get any closer to a person.

What are your suggestions on this photo?????
Thanks for your help!

Eric Virkler
10-26-2010, 10:36 PM
I can't really think of anything helpful for you. The exposure is good, timing with the leg raised is good, and the one side larger than the other rack is quite interesting. Obviously the background is a very big distraction, but there's nothing you can do in a situation like that.

Eric

Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com

Ian Cassell
10-26-2010, 11:14 PM
I dunno. I think it's worth more than two bucks :)

Seriously, though. Exposure is good and interesting with the two animals, but the BG is very distracting.

Sid Garige
10-26-2010, 11:36 PM
A lot of story in this image. Big buck is a very matured buck with thick neck and in very attentive pose. Junior is very curious and little more relaxed. Not an artistic image but a good natural history image for sure. If I was presented with an opportunity like this and get enough time , I would take two images with each one in focus and merge them into one single image. At 98mm I dont think even f32 with get both of them in focus. Very very nice job with the composition and exposure.

Julie Kenward
10-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Cheryl, for me, this is a lovely image with only one major problem and that's how much the main deer's antlers and head get lost in the surrounding foliage. I agree that the green is a bit bright so I toned it down and I also cropped it a bit closer to get rid of the bright spot in the URC.

I love the colors in this image and think the main deer is well done. Overall, I'd be happy with this image if he had moved a bit more to the right and that beautiful rack stood out more.

Cheryl Flory
10-29-2010, 07:42 PM
totally agree with everyone about the background. Is there a way to make the bg fade more?
I like the paler green. I think i would do that also to the bits of green on the ground. And prob desat the intense blue splotches in the background in the far trees.